cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Upgrade

N/A

PC Upgrade

Currently thinking of upgrading my pc which is a P4 1.8 ghz with 768 sdram.
Would it be best to buy a new motherboard and memory ( old one is a 845d)
or upgrade the processor. I currently can only budget to do one of these upgrades to be followed by the other in 6-12 months time.
Does any one have any ideas as to which would be most beneficial first?
4 REPLIES
N/A

PC Upgrade

well , upgrading the CPU would be a better bet right now, and then get a new mobo and stuff later as the prices will have droped Smiley

btw, check ebay for great hardware deals, they are the best :p

buz
N/A

PC Upgrade

I upgraded this year to. Got a new motherboard. 1 gig crucial ram. Ati 9800 pro graphics card, new psu and a new case. Around £260 all togther. But next year upgrading again to an amd 64 maybe more ram to.
michaelscott
Grafter

PC Upgrade

It's difficult to say... you say the system has old SDRAM which is very slow. Upgrading the motherboard and memory (to PC3200) would see a significant speed increase.

It really depends on why you want to upgrade. Do you use your computer to its full capacity now? What do you want to be able to achieve by upgrading?
N/A

PC Upgrade

Right now, wait, in a pretty short space of time NVidia will be releasing the nForce4 which will support the AMD 64's, DDR and be nVidia's flagship PCI-Express motherboards.

If you don't care about having PCI-E, go get yourself an nForce2/3 based motherboard with an Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton) 400MHz FSB and 1gb DDR, or try to find a motherboard that has both SDR and DDR slots so you can upgrade the memory later.

Just go the AMD route :p