cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Rollout

N/A

PC Rollout

My company is the process of tendering for around 400 new desktops. Its come down to either dell's gx270 or HP d530s.

We currently have hp d530s and know they are pretty good. Does anyone have experience of a dell pc's and/or the (business) customer service they provide.

Thanks

Moderators note (John) All capital title changed to lower case. Please do not use all capitals for either titles or the body text in a post.
7 REPLIES
N/A

PC Rollout

I have used and bought Dell at work for many years. I have work for Barclay Bank and ICI and they all use Dell. They are well made pc's and the web site is great as you can go on put in the tag and get all the drivers for the pc.

They are build like a tank
the_norris
Grafter

PC Rollout

I'm current writing thois post on a gx270.

As mwright pointed out there are easy to support - I'm a IT support person - Tag number on website gives all you need.

The Gx270's come in two case sizes (standard and slim line) If you go for the slim line - best to upgrade it when buying - Eg If want a DVD-ROM/CD writer - was a optional extra. As its dell only hardware can be used. This part (DVD-ROM/CD writer) is about £80 to buy from dell at a later date.

95% of the PC and servers are DELL stuff where I work - got about 4000 PCs and 90 servers. Also got compaqs PCs but slowly been replaced by Dell kit.

Just note about the Phone support - is targeted more for home user tech level. If techy person yourself - like me - need to answer yes to 'Can you try this /that?' As we here do a full test before phoning support.

If you need any more info just say.

Phil
N/A

PC Rollout

Stone computers are Ok too.

I've Been buying them off and on for over five years, and my company for 10+ and the support is 2nd to none.

Yeah they go wrong but 3 years on site next day cover goes a long way. They sell mostly into the edu sector but hey I suspect money is money!

www.stonecomputers.co.uk

Tim
Community Veteran

PC Rollout

We use Dell computers in work. They are pretty reliable and we have some that are well past their best before date and they are generally fine. Support wise they have been good.

My old employer used HP Brios, these where ok but seemed to develop faults after a while, although I never dealt with calling for support or anything on these. My current employer also use HP printers and Ipaqs, in terms of support - speaking to someone who knows what they are doing, answering calls quickly and dealing with RMAs they are the best.

Chris
N/A

PC Rollout

I'd had a dreadful experience with my current laptop form Dell. I've had 4 machines from them in the past.

Support has gradually got worse and worse - moving tech support to India just screwed them up completely.

My laptop was 22 days late, broke 3 days later, 3 engineers came out - couldn't fix it, dell were meant to call me to arrange a replacement - didn't. i had to call them.

and now i have 2 laptops, 1 which doesn't work all because they haven't arranged to pick it up yet (3 months ago).

The tech support are thick.
the_norris
Grafter

PC Rollout

marouf - is this a home buy or biz buy?

The number I phone for support terminates in Ireland. I know the home users one goes to india. A Mate at work brough one for home use - he's not happy with the home support line.
Lucky when our Account Manager at Dell was visiting he told him the problems - and a few strings was pulled and Dell support from Ireland called hime direct.

If you are buying servers - I'll be able to comment on the in-build remote management stuff at the end of this week - as we are getting a Dell Engineer to train and setup our server for there Remote Management.

Phil
N/A

PC Rollout

Small Business.

Business support was moved back to clientlogic in ireland. (i read that on the register some time ago).

But even clientlogic are crap.

My account manager couldn't really help me very much - she kept telling me I would have to go through India.

The dell remote management tools are fantastic. They really are very good.