cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Problem

N/A

PC Problem

Hey,
Currently I have two computers in the house. They both have been working fine. Recently my other computer was acting up, this is very unusual, the pc has high specs and ive never had problems with it. First windows was very slow till eventrully I couldnt go past the login screen it just locked up. I formatted the harddrive but now everytime it gets to the window xp loading screen then does a quick bluee screen say 2seconds then restarts. I have looked closely and the screen looks like the error messege about dumping physical memory. I thought it was a harddrive virus but I am not so sure, its not the memory as ive ran the computer with different and it still happens. I am hoping you guys could help.
Thanks
Mike

Pc Specs:

Abit AV8
AMD 64bit 3500+
Dual channel 1gb Geli Value RAM
Radeon x800 256mb
Windows XP Pro

Thanks again.
9 REPLIES
N/A

PC Problem

Boot to safe mode, then turn off the auto-reboot option in Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup & Recovery. Then see if the error stays on screen long enough for you to get a STOP error code, and post that here,
N/A

PC Problem

Check the temprature of the cpu normaly its in the bios. a crash so early on is often a hot cpu or a failing fan. Check for muck/dust around the heat sink/fan.
N/A

PC Problem

I have tryed safe mode but still the same problem. I have also wiped away any dust but still the same
Community Veteran

PC Problem

If you have any expansion cards fitted, try removing them. If you still have same probs, and are running a graphics card, then see if your mobo has onboard graphics. If it does, then enable it in the bios, and remove your graphics card. See if this helps. If removing the other cards (b4 doing the graphics part) fixes the probs, then replace the cards one at a time until you find the offending item.
If you need to go to the graphics card part, and find it fixes the probs, then of course you have found the graphics card to be faulty!

Addon cards etc can and do go faulty over time, so when you start to experiance behavior like you are having, then it is allways worth testing like this, if only to iliminate them from susspision!

I'm not saying this will defo find your probs, but it is where I would start!

Good luck Smiley
N/A

PC Problem

I had this problem and removing my TV PCI card solved the problem.

Having had this problem for sometime before solving it research has told me that it may be quickest to take out all PCI cards not needed for the computer to install windows PLU pull out all USB, serial and parallel por leaads not required.

This does not take as long as you might think but windows then installs without problem.

In fact if you read the little book that comes with windows it says take out un needed hardware as it can conflict with the boot process.
arlehaven
Grafter

PC Problem

Hi Mike,
All the advice given so far is excellent, you do appear to be having hardware problems of some kind. This may be down to simply a driver problem. As I have found many times in the past it is always good to go back to basics, saves a lot of time in the long run.

Disconnect everything from the computer that is not required to boot. Even if you have two CD Roms or a CDRW. Only connect one. Likewise if you are using two hard drives (I don't think you said you were) only connect the one that you want to install the operating system to.

If you have onboard LAN or sound boot into the BIOS and see if you can disable them. While your in there make sure your system is set to boot from CD Rom.
(Note that something as basic as a defective Keyboard or mouse could be causing a problem. Try borrowing both from your working system)

Now that were back to basics, boot from your Win XP Pro disc.
Baby sit the setup and watch all screens carefully.
During setup you will be shown the partition that XP will be set up on, I personally would delete the partition, create it again and then do a full format.
Continue through the wizard until setup completes.

If you have had no errors by this stage I would like to think your system has now booted to the OS.

If this is the case and you happen to have the original motherboard driver disc then run it now. These discs are usually wizard driven.

All still going well then shut down the system. Connect any other drives. It takes a bit of time but do everything one step at a time and boot the system every time you make a change to ensure that it is still working.

If you did what we suggested earlier and disabled onboard hardware in the BIOS, then enable these items, again one at a time. (Sorry but it’s the only way to find out what’s causing the grief)
You may need to run the motherboard driver disc again to install drivers for these items.

Finally if all is still going well, shutdown and install any other Graphics card, sound or modem you may have. Remember no shortcuts. One at a time. Checking on boot each time.

Ok so I rambled on a bit but I hope this goes someway to helping you.
N/A

PC Problem

Thanks for all your help guys,

I did a full format and the computer is now back up and running, it turned out that the onboard LAN port has gone and after fitting a seperate ethernet card in everything has been fine Cheesy

Thanks again,
Mike
Community Veteran

PC Problem

Cool! Cool
Glad to see you worked through it and found the problem! Well done. Smiley

P.S. Nice post arlehaven! Smiley
arlehaven
Grafter

PC Problem

Nice one Mike.

Good to hear your back up and running.