cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking!!!

N/A

Overclocking!!!

Hi,

I need abit of help here, i have a 1600 amd athlon xp cpu and want to get the best speed possible out of it, but without damaging it or anything, in windows it shows my 1600 running at 1.4ghz how far could i push this? i have just gone into the bios and changed my FSB from 133 to 150 and now it's saying 1900XP on boot up screen and showing it running at 1.58ghz in windows, have i done this right? 1.58ghz from 1400ghz seems abit much to me? or can i get more out of it, was changing the FSB the right thing.? :?

Thanks Wink
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Overclocking!!!

You need to watch your CPU temps, if it goes too high it will damage the processor - use Motherboard Monitor. You also need to see what temps you get when playing CPU intensive games as just running windows does not task the processor enough and this may also show up stability issues. Try running prime95 which will stress your processor and see what temps you get. If you get errors then you have overclocked too much. Also run the memory tests www.memtest86.com and www.memtest.org because memory errors could also cause lockups.

You should keep the temps at or below 50C. If they are too high you need to invest in better cooling - which means a better heatsink/fan for the processor and additional fans in the case.

Also you may need to adjust the CPU voltage higher to cope with the overclocked processor. Not doing this could produce unstable operation. You may need to go upto 1.8v or higher but try the prime95 test and see if it copes, if not raise the CPU voltage a bit and try again.

Also watch your voltages in case your PSU cannot cope with additional power the CPU and other components need when running overclocked.

There are loads of overclocking websites and loads of overcloicking forums containing useful info, just use google to find them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Overclocking!!!

note changing the FSB affects all the pci slots and agp as well, so you are slowly but surely damaging them over time.

Only safe way to over clock is to change the CPU multiplyer. If your lucky its not locked On the CPU and it is changeable in the bios, or you might have a mobo that can change it via jumpers.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Overclocking!!!

all XP1600+ are multiplier locked so the only overclock option is FSB. Also FSB increases don't always effect your PCI speeds as some mobos can adjust the PCI clock divisor or keep the PCI at a fixed speed. overclocking the PCI bus may cause some cards to not work but it's more likely to be memory errors and/or the CPU hanging that causes system freezes.

FSB overclocking can be a stable method to get a faster system, and many people do it, as long as you keep an eye on what I have suggested above.
N/A

Overclocking!!!

Where do you get the 50C temperature limit from Peter?

My XP 1700+ runs at 55C normally and up to 62C under load without problems, and has done for the last 18 months. The last time I looked I think AMD specified up to 80C is OK.
Community Veteran

Overclocking!!!

It is the temps quoted by many overclocking websites. Above that figure over extended periods can degrade the processors life. If your happy with the temps you have then that is fine.

Remember, the earlier XP (before the barton) did not have an internal temp diode so all temps you are seeing are outside chip temps not internal die temps, which could be 5->10C higher, so your 65C could actually be 75C internally which is closer to the max temps allowed. I think the XP's have a 90C operating limit.
As an example, my XP2800+ Barton (2.08GHz) is overclocked to 2.275GHz with an external temp of 45C and a die temp of 51C. It will go higher but one of my apps produces bad data so I have reduced the overclocking a bit. I am also used the FSB method as my chip is multiplier locked.

Overclocking also puts a strain on the CPU because it is running outside it's normal specifications - especially if you also increase the CPU voltage, so that added to your higher temps puts an even bigger strain on the CPU.

Overclocking can be risky, but if you follow some basic advice, don't overdo the FSB increases and use small incements, you can achieve good reliable speed improvements.
N/A

Overclocking!!!

The internal / external CPU temperature difference is useful to know about so thanks for that.

I think the overclocking issue (assuming you want spend the time getting it working reliably) boils down to a trade off between a relatively minor speed increase and the noise of the extra cooling.

My priorities are stability and quiet so I don't bother with overclocking. Smiley
N/A

Overclocking!!!

My priorities are stability and quiet so I don't bother with overclocking. Smiley

Very sensible in my opinion. It always seems to me that CPU frequency is easy to understand, and easy to boast about (I'm not getting at anyone here, mind you!). Many people seem to think that the overall speed of their PC will increase in proportion, which of course is far from true. Often the greatest real speed increase is achieved by installing more memory, and the comparatively small overclocking increases have very little practical effect.

Eric
Community Veteran

Overclocking!!!

It really depends on what use you put your PC to. I run a distributed computing application 24/7 which is very CPU intensive which means even a small CPU overclock can yield faster results.

Someone just using the PC for word processing, email and surfing etc would see little difference in overclocking of 5->10%. Even a gamer may benefit more from ram as you say or a better graphics card than increasing the CPU.
N/A

Overclocking!!!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply's i can only push this cpu upto a amd athlon 2000xp running at 1.63mhz so not that much really, was running at 1400mhz before. i just changed the fsb to 155 thats the highest it will take before not booting, temp is on 48-49c, 52c load.

Thanks Wink
Firejack
Grafter

Overclocking!!!

I tried Overclocking a few months back. Have to say it was a waste of time. In reality th performance increase you get has next to no impact on real world applications.

The only real reason to overclock is to get better benchmark results so you can boast you have the fastest machine between your mates Wink

I'm yet to see a overlock on air cooling that gave any sort of real-world improvement. A water cooling setup usually can return results. However investing in that expensive water cooler is often pointless as the money saved by not buying the water cooler could go to a hardware upgrade and that is were you see the real performance increases.

Overclocking is for the enthusiast with lots of time and money to burn. Those endless hours running Memtest86+ or prime95 increasing the speed by a few MHz at a time isn't very rewarding when you reflect even the best overclocks will only give you a 10% speed boost. Which in reality means nothing. Your framerate in games will increase from 30 to 33 frames per second. Not really that worthwhile is it?

My advice is don't bother overclocking. Use the time saved not messing around to earn a few extra pounds at work. Put that with the money saved from not buying expensive cooling systems and buy yourself a shiny new computer Smiley
N/A

Overclocking!!!

that is SO true firejack Smiley

i ocd my dual P3 800hz to dual 900hz and all i noticed was hotter temps lol.. and i just cba to reboot my dual 3.06 p4 xeons.. cos ooo i may get to 3.1 omg omg.. i DONT CARE Smiley i mean 3ghz is fast enough lol
N/A

Overclocking!!!

I gotta agree with you on that one firejack, well said, on the overclocking situation i have put my bios back to default and just put my fsb to 133 again to gain my normal cpu speed which is 1.6ghz, not bothering with the overclocking just gonna go out and get a new 2.4 or 2.6 xp cpu Smiley

Thanks. Wink
N/A

Overclocking!!!

The biggest difference is turning your cpu into something faster.

I have just replaced my 2500+ Barton (£50) to a 2500+ Mobile (£60)

I am using a amd chip designed for laptops as they run with less voltage and therefore cooler than the normal desktop chips and these mobile chips are unlocked so you can use any multiplier.

I am now running this chip (which at default runs at 1.6ghz) at 2.5ghz air cooled. In essense my chip is now rated at 3600+ My temp @ idle is around 40c

Firejack, you said its not worthwhile overclocking, yet i spent a little time and my chip is running alot faster than the highest barton chip at present. I have paid half the price of a 3200+ chip and I am now running faster than it.

I will be the first to admit overclocking isnt for all, but why pay money to upgrade when you can change a few settings and get extra speed.

I'm yet to see a overlock on air cooling that gave any sort of real-world improvement

Improvement?? How about gaining an extra 1ghz and turning a £60 chip into a chip that greatly outperforms the 3200+

You have got to bear in mind that ghz isnt everything, the best way to increase your pcs speed is to increase the Front side bus (FSB) which will greatly speed up anything you do in windows etc.
Firejack
Grafter

Overclocking!!!

Yes the 2500+ M is something of an exception to the rule. I've seen a 2500+ M overclocked by a mate to 2.7GHz with water cooling from its default.
However he didn't claim it was running like a 4000+ because saying that is rubbish.
I remember when those overclockable 1700+'s came out. Everyone was jumping around saying it performs like a 2600+ or whatever. However in reality it was running closer to a 2000+. Ramping up the clock frequency only helps in certain situations. For the most part, as you say, increasing the bandwidth with a higher FSB gets better results. But still that isn't all. The reason newer CPU's are faster is because of the newer technologies that go into them.
So when you are saying a 2500+ M @ 2.5GHz is a 3600+ I think you are misleading us a little. Start up a game of FarCry or do some video Encoding and compare the results against an Athlon 64 3200+ and you'll see the A64 smash any sort of comparsion due to its more advanced nature.