cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook issues - need to get sorted before bird finds out!

N/A

Got a problem in outlook - i have just donea nice fresh install of XP and office XP only to find that i didnt back up the mailbox settings from my girlfriends outlook setup (I use webmail). I have recovered her personal folders from my ghost image of my previous build of XP - but there are no contact details, mailbox settings or rules ....

does anyone know how i can get these and as quick as possible before I lose things i need! :shock:

Thanks for any help you can offer a muppet who doesnt use outlook often!
6 REPLIES
N/A

As far as i know, the rules are stored in the registry, separate to the personal folders, so not sure of a way to set those up again. Same goes for account settings, so these will probably have to be re-entered manually.

As for the contacts, Outlook can store them one of two ways. It either uses the Windows Address book (which is usually stored in Documents and Setting with a .wab extension) or it uses the contacts folder in the personal folders.

Anyone can feel free to correct me if im wrong Shocked
pcorker
Grafter

You might find some addresses for locating the missing data here but I doubt it.
At least there is a free backup program there so you can use that to record the original settings when you restore the ghost and then clean install again. :lol:
Pat.
N/A

the link mentioned above will work for Outlook Express, but I thought the original problem was with Outlook (part of Office XP), a completely different program. (why Microsoft named chose similar names, I will never know)
pcorker
Grafter

Oh, poo !
Shockedops:
N/A

Oh poo! --> I can think of some more colourful language

I have tried a few of your suggestions to try and get back the items i need but at risk of pain and lifelong suffering and the usual never hearing the end of it i have struck gold with an idea...

I will ghost the current install - restore the old build from the ghost file - get the bits i need and then restore the current fresh install of XP.

Its worth the effort to stop the Evil woman getting nasty!

Cheers
N/A

Just restore all files from:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

and

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\

That will restore all your contacts, appointments, email and the majority of your rules. Its worked for me everytime provided your a standalone user without a roaming profile. Some rules may need tweaking afterwards, as usually outlook stores the rule in a file but part of it, for example, the folder name to move a mail item too when the rule fires, in the registry.