cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Question - Can anyone help me please?

Community Veteran

I am setting up an XP-home PC for family use with multiple user accounts.

Each user will use their instance of Outlook to access the SAME mailbox.

All the emails coming in to the mailbox are forwarded from a domain set up so they can be addressed to the specific users.

My question is: Is there a way to set outlook up so that it will only download the emails addressed to the current user rather than it grabbing all the emails for all the users?

My current solution is to set outlook to leave all the emails on the server for a couple of weeks, that way all the users get all the emails… but its not very elegant.

Any help appreciated.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Can you set up a mailbox for each account. That way mail for john goes to john@accountusername.plus.com and mail for jane goes to jane@accountusername.plus.com.

That way each user is only getting the mail specific to them.
Community Veteran

If it was for me yes.....

But I am setting up this PC as a favour for a friend. Sadly for him he is using Tiscali therfore he has a single address of something like

poorsod@tiscali.co.uk

So your solution cant be used AFAICT
N/A

Probably going to be a case of separate folders for each user within Outlook and then some filters on incoming messages to send mail for specific users to those folders.

I'd guess there *may* be functionality within Outlook to password protect each of those mail folders so none of the users can view the others' mail, but dont take my word for it, I've never used Outlook, and only used OE for a short while til I found Thunderbird for all my email needs.
Community Veteran

Dont think that will work as with XP each user will have a seperate instance of outlook running so each instance will have different folder setup.

TBH I cant see any easyway around this limitation of tiscali's
Community Veteran

Yup I think you are correct, but I had to ask Wink

Thanks for your suggestions folks Smiley
N/A

You can do this with Outlook Express, but apparently not Outlook.

With OE, there is a rule option you can set up so that if the mail is addressed to a certain address, it is not downloaded from the server. So you could put the other two users' addresses in the rule and the email would not be downloaded for the third user. Then configure the other two profiles accordingly. As the original target address is something unique, and not all sent to poorsod@tiscali, it should work.

Unfortunately for some reason "do not download from server" doesn't appear to be an option in Outlook.

dvdguideuk