Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express

LastRoMan
Grafter

Outlook Express

I get this message when I fire up my Outlook Express:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'PlusNet', Server: 'localhost', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I make so many changes to my computer - I cannot recall what I may have done to foul it up! I can of course get my mail direct from +net server - but find my desktop the best place to manage my files.

Can anyone help please :?:

Cheers
5 REPLIES
N/A

Outlook Express connection problems - PCCillin?

You are not alone!
I have had a series of these problems - unfortunately I have had other gremlins and don't know the cure - I'm sending this from the local library and praising webmail.
Although I've been unable to prove it - yet - I'm pretty sure it was caused by PCCillin. I've recently upgraded to PCC 2003 which did an auto update shortly before the probs started. It was a program download rather than a pattern file update this time and seemed to have also changed the VCI setting to the US standard (35 instead of 38 or vice versa - I can't remember which at this second).
I understand that there might be problems with compatability with PCC 2003 and ZoneAlarm (I'm running ZA Plus) - I saw this while looking at one of the computer mags prior to buying - I can't remember which but I'm off to find out shortly!
Any other comments / suggestions welcomed.
John B
Ianwild
Grafter

Outlook Express

HI,

OE is trying to access "localhost'" to download your mail (Localhost is your machine). You can change this to "mail.plus.net" and all should be well. This normally gets set like that if you are running Anti virus or spam trapping software.

Regards,
LastRoMan
Grafter

Outlook Express

Thanks - I have changed "localhost" to "mail.pus.net" - will this prevent me using a Spam filter etc?

Uh Oh! I just tried <send/receive> and got:
"Your POP3 server has not responded in 90 seconds. Would you like to wait another 90 seconds for the server to respond?"

Answering yes just produces the same message after - 90 seconds - I had increased this from 60 in th hope it gave the server more time. What is happening here?

Cheers
Ianwild
Grafter

Outlook Express

Thanks - I have changed "localhost" to "mail.pus.net"

Is that a typo?

It should be mail.plus.net.

It is quite likely changing this will bypass anything which you are running locally to filter your mail. You will need to consult the software documentation if you want to go back to using it!

Cheers,
LastRoMan
Grafter

Outlook Express

Thanks Ian and sorry for the typo - it was deffinitely not meant as a slur.

Conrad