cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express problem

nick73
Dabbler

Outlook Express problem

When I open up OE the Folder and Contents list on the left hand side load up almost straight away, but the rest just remains white for ages. Often, but not always, my e.mails have started to download before the whole page is open. Anyone have any idea what is causing the delay and how to speed things up. Any help gratefully received.
Nick.
8 REPLIES
Rich
Grafter

Outlook Express problem

I too, used to have this problem. Outlook Express sometimes grinds to a halt if you have a few hundred emails.

Try Thunderbird - it's free, reliable and available from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/.
Community Veteran

Outlook Express problem

I get exactly the same thing and have done for ages. Never have found the cause. It can take longer to load if you are doing other things in the background like downloading.

Do you have a lots of emails saved or a large email store file? If so, that may be what's slowing it down which is the only conclusion I have so far.

Also I have several accounts, and the first time I open it up, it always fails on the first one (a hotmail pop3 connection). Doing a send/receive again once it has finished all accounts runs through them all fine. Never figured that one out either.
RobDickson
Grafter

Outlook Express problem

Have you tried compacting your folders? I don't use Outlook Express at home any more, but I think the option is something like File>>Folders>>Compact Folders.

I've never used Thunderbird, but, in my opinion, it does have one major advantage over Outlook Express - it has a spell checker.

http://www.robdickson.co.uk/otherpages/funnypages/spell_checker.php
N/A

Outlook Express problem

i second ryton, thunderbird rules Smiley
RobDickson
Grafter

Outlook Express problem

The reason I didn't decide to use Thunderbird when I looked into it about a year ago, is because it doesn't (or at least didn't) synchronise with a Palm PDA.
nick73
Dabbler

Outlook Express problem

Thanks for the input guys. I do not keep a lot of e.mails on my system. when they get to about 100 I delete them. From what you all say, this is something inherant in outlook express. Will have a go at Thunderbird.Thank you again for the prompt replies.
Kindest Regards,
Nick.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Outlook Express problem

One thing that may be worth a look at is the Windows Messenger link in OE, that has been known to slow down the start up, especially if you have disabled Windows Messenger.
Open OE, from the Tools menu select Options. On the General tab there is a check box for "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger". If this is checked, uncheck it, apply the settings, close OE and open it again - see if it loads faster.
nick73
Dabbler

Outlook Express problem

Thanks PJ,
I will try your suggestion and see if that improves things.
Thank you for your assistance.
Kindest Regards,
Nick.