cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express 6

N/A

Outlook Express 6

I am trying to move some e-mail messages that I wish to keep from a computer that I wish to scrap on to a newer macine.

Both are Outlook Express 6 in Windows 98SE.

The save option seems to be one message at a time and there are too many to make that a thrilling experience.

Import / Export seems to be no use and I have tried copying and pasting the .dbx back up from one Windows Explorer to the other, but how can I view the messages?

Or can someone tell me the path to the messages themselves in Explorer as I can't find them.

Any help very much appreciated even if I have missed the totally obvious.

Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Outlook Express 6

If you hold down the shift key and highlight the lot of them, you can then drag them all to a folder on your desktop (or wherever).
Then just use this file.
It's a lot easier than messing about with the dbx stuff
Community Veteran

Outlook Express 6

Just a hint here for you and anyone else who has difficulties finding just where outlook express has stored your messages.

First using my computer or windows explorer create a new folder in say the root of C: or any other drive you like and call this folder something like "emails" or whatever name you fancy.

Then open Outlook Express and go to Tools then Options then Maintenance.
Click on the button marked "Store Folder" and a box will appear showing you where it is (Buried deep in a nest of folders)
Click on the Change button and enter your new folder that you have created.

It will inform you that next time you open the program it will apply the change.

Exit and re ener Outlook expresss and it will move all your email files into the new folder so you can now find them easily.
All new messages will also now go to the new folder.
N/A

Outlook Express 6

Is there an equivalent for Outlook, johnessex?
Community Veteran

Outlook Express 6

Not sure on that question as I dont have Outlook on any of my machines.
Perhaps someone who does use it can confirm or deny the availability of it?Huh
N/A

Thanks

Just a note of thanks Geoff and John; I have sorted it using the drag and drop directly to a flash disk.

I had found the folder that the second method took me to, but not by that route which is much better.

The problem seems to be that I could not and still can't see the .eml files, only .dbx files.

Anyway, the jobs done and thanks once more.
N/A

Outlook Express 6

Is there an equivalent for Outlook

What version of outlook do you use? I've got 2003, if you select Tools, Then options. Click the Mail Setup Tab, there is a Data Files button which will take you to where it's all stored.

I would imagine this is the same in previous versions.

Aaron
holdtight
Grafter

Outlook Express 6

Not the same in office 2000 ! theres no data files button
must be a feature on the later office
N/A

Outlook Express 6

I'm sure that there would be an option though, I'll have to dig out an older copy of outlook and see if I can't find it.

Try the following link that I found.

Moving Outlook Data Files

Aaron
N/A

Outlook Express 6

Try

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

for user insert local account.

Mark
N/A

Outlook Express 6

There's an excellent Outlook Express unofficial support site here: