cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opera Email

edde
Dabbler

Opera Email

I use Opera 7.11 web browser and thought I'd have a go at setting up the email (M2) side of it recently.

Unfortunately, it seems that while I can receive emails from my Plusnet account I can't send them.

Does anyone know if there are any issues with the Opera M2 email client and Plusnet?
7 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Opera Email

Quick Stab in the dark - Are you dialled up to PlusNet?

In short, You can only send mail through the ISP you are connected to - That applies to all SMTP servers on the Internet, although there are a few payed ones which allow the use of a username and password.

Regards,
edde
Dabbler

Opera Email

Sorry, should have said, I'm on Plusnet ADSL.

I can send and receive using Outlook Express but using the same server settings can receive but not send via Opera M2.
N/A

Opera Email

Are you sure you have placed the correct SMTP server address in your settings.
edde
Dabbler

Opera Email

I reckon so, I've imported the settings from Outlook Express and put them in manually with the same result.
N/A

Opera Email

Hi
I originaly had this problem, the answer is on the Opera FAQ, somewhere!

Try this:
In the outgoing SMTP boxes make sure you enter the server name, but do not enter a user name or password.

You must fill these fields for the Incoming POP server.

HTH
Gary
N/A

Opera Email

Having just downloaded Opera for the first time in a few years, I ha issue setting up the e-mail.

As noted, make sure the username and passowrd bxoes for the outgoing server are blank.
edde
Dabbler

Opera Email

Cheers guys, that sorted it fine Cheesy

Just for info the link to the Opera knowledge base answer is:-

http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=639&session=46dd8172c0102d1353aa8a705ac60e92

Shame I couldn't find it beforehand myself.