cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On board LAN or separate LAN pci card?

N/A

AS title says, which is better?

Would using a onboard lan slow the PC down or would it be same?

Or say i buy a top spec lan card, would that make my net faster or would it just be the same.

I have no problems, but i have a separate lan card lying about. Was just wondering if it does make a difference i mightvve well install the separte lan card to free up resources that my mobo is using.
8 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Unless your shifting a large amount of data across a network you wont see any difference between your onboard lan port and a seperate card

My advice would be to stick with your onboard lan i always have as they do there job perfectly well unlike some onboard graphics sound etc which do eat up resources
N/A

As holdtight said stick with on your onboard lan, and it saves using up a slot on your machine.
N/A

Cheers for the advice lads, ill stick with my on board.

But think ill get a separate sound card then as im currently using the onboard sounds.
N/A

Nothing wrong with onboard sounds either, just depends on the chipset included.
holdtight
Grafter

Again it depends on what your using it for, if you just have a pair of stereo pc speakers your onboard sound chip will be fine

If however your trying to use a 7.1 surround sound speaker set then a seperate sound card is a must if not it will be fine as it is

Bill.

edit
must have hit enter at the same time Aaron
N/A

oh i see...

Well i tend to have my music on no stop..its only 2 speakers not 7.1 so i guess it would be ok if i just leave it how it is onboard then

cheers guys for saving me some money Cheesy
N/A

It's also worth noting, that some DVD/Cinema systems will allow you to connect up your computer for the sound. It's what I do if I want to play on the big screen, as the output can be coded for dolby surround sound. My cinema system picks that up, and sorted.
Community Veteran

The full features and experince of many of todays onboard sound chipsets are lost by using cheapo speaker systems. It's the same for hi-fi systems where you can spend lot on a good amp but spoil it by using inadequate speakers or speakers that don't match the amp properly.

As for on-board lans, these tend to use the same family of chips that the PCI based cards do and due to being on the mobo, is much more effecient due to having a more direct interface with the processor bus. In any case the throughput of on-boad lans is so good now that you won't see any difference in terms of resouces and speed to PCI base cards if you are using 10/100Mb speeds. Gigabit however can benefit from the on-board chips due to not being limited on the PCI bus speed.