cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Laptop

N/A

Old Laptop

I managed to fix an old laptop at the weekend (The power connector was broken). During patching of XP this afternoon Windows decided to trash the install (it hangs on one file on boot up).

The Toshiba recovery CD is kaput so I'm going to drop a desktop linux on there.

Any suggestions as to which one - I've got the latest Ubuntu somewhere...
3 REPLIES
N/A

Old Laptop

Hi.
Ubuntu is probably a good choice. The pedigree of Debian but more uptodate software ( Unless you want to track testing or unstable trees of Debian).
When you install make sure /home goes on a seperate partition then if you decide to try a different distro or have to reinstall all your user data will remain intact. ( As long as you don't format /home when reinstalling Cheesy )
If you are going to do any database stuff or webserver stuff put /var on a seperate partition as well so all data can be kept when reinstalling. Saves having to remember to do a database dump before the reinstall.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

Old Laptop

I'm basically just setting it up for basic laptop use for surfing, downloading photos for my camera, hacking the odd bit of php code and so on.

I'm keeping the rest of the stuff on my server
N/A

Old Laptop

Should be OK then.
Most of mates who were Debian diehards for quite a while have now changed to Ubuntu.
Cheers
Jon