cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh Gawd!!

N/A

Oh Gawd!!

Just have connected a crossover cable between my 2 pcs and although I had no real luck in getting them to see each other i have just noticed that the desk top and main files on my main PC have disappeared and it is now acting like a brand new computer. ie; asking me if I want to register Windows and all my outlook and internet settings gone.

Searched for my main files and thankfully they are all there but why would this happen, it is as if I have pressed some default switch.

Very puzzled, the laptop is unaffected.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Oh Gawd!!

This can happen for one of two reasons based on what you have done.

Worst case scenario:

Your registry has corrupted. This, regardless of the state of your files, will now need a total reinstall of windows and all programs.

However, if you still have access to programs like MS Office without issue, thsi is not the case.

2:

You have just plugged the network cable in. Normaly a computer will then configure itself for network use.

In which case, it will have turned personal desktop on.

For this, you should only need to copy the files back onto the desktop. The case may be the same with other locations including "My Documents".

You did note that main files where gone. I interpret this as main system files, integral to operating the computer, however, you make it sounds more like you mean "Important documents"/Data files.

Can you clarify this.
N/A

Oh Gawd!!

you dont say what o/S but this is normaly you have logged on as a new user and it has created a new profile for you. This could be the other profile was corrupt or you have logged on as it has now found the network.

Depending on the O/S you old profile will stil be there under documents + Settings
N/A

oh gawd

I did plug in a crossover cable and the missing but now found files are indeed mine as my invoices, my money etc but outlook has lost all my contacts. any ideas?
N/A

oh gawd

oh os is w2000 pro
N/A

all OK

Thanks guys

the PC had set up a second profile, back to the original now and all is well.

Cheers