cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Network Problem ...HELP!!

zebo-the-fat
Grafter

My home network consists of an ADSL router connected to a Wi-Fi router/print server, some PC's are connected by cat5 cable and some by Wi-fi. (A total of 4 PC's and 1 laptop), all using DHCP.
Everything worked fine until I downloaded the latest upgrade to zonealarm (this may be related or just a coincidence). Now one of the machines linked by cat5 cannot connect. I tried using the "repair" function in XP but I get a message saying it can't get an IP address. I have used ipconfig /release and /renew without success.
I uninstalled zonealarm but this made no difference, I removed the network connection from device manager and reinstalled it, no change, I even fitted a second network card but nothing works! all the other machines on the network are fine, so I assume that the router isn't at fault.

What am I missing? Cry
4 REPLIES
N/A

check the wire?
change ports that the wire is connected to
try a cross over cable between it and another pc .. see what happens.
make sure thenetwork card is enabled
turn off the firewalls to make sure thats not a problem
disable the xp firewall
try giving it a fixed ip address
N/A

Make sure ALL pc's are either WORKGROUP or MSHOME if they are different you will encounter problems like you can get the internet on all machines but not see each others pc on the network.....Another thing could be if the show limited or no conextivity box is ticked your network may stop responding...

And on a more sinister note maybe your security was not quite as good as it could be and some scroat has locked you out of your own network via your WiFi connection.

Zonealarm is a very aggressive program it is possible that it has malfunctioned and rewritten some of the windows commands at registry level, so no matter how many times you reinstall it, its never gonna work...

I would delete zonealarm clean the registry of all zonealarm entries, delete all network related equipment in device manager, turn off pc for 10 mins (pull the plug (residual power)) reinstall network (install Adaware SE and windows defender)
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

I gave up and re-installed windoze .... all working normaly now!
N/A

Wow a reinstall is the easy way out!!!

But luckily you were not using works pcs, as this is usually NOT an option!

But if time was critical - well done!