cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obsessed with networking?

Community Veteran

It has been brought to my attention by a friend that I may have an obsession with networking. I think he may be right! Let me know what you think
http://www.seanbranagh.com/network
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

... "We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable"
Community Veteran

That's a very neat set up.

I am also impressed by the 1km wireless link.

Have you had a look at www.vmware.com their vmware server may allow you to get rid (redeploy) one of your servers.

I am running vmware server on CentOS (RHEL), to provide two linux servers and a WinXP workstation.

Chilly
Ravinella
Grafter

Looks at rack in corner of living room with 2 Compaq DL380, 1 Sun Netra X1, Netgear FSM726S, 48 port patch panel, Draytek Vigour 2900VG and Netgear DG834PN.

Nope, all seems quite reasonable to me :lol:
Community Veteran

That's a very neat set up.

I am also impressed by the 1km wireless link.

Have you had a look at www.vmware.com their vmware server may allow you to get rid (redeploy) one of your servers.

I am running vmware server on CentOS (RHEL), to provide two linux servers and a WinXP workstation.

Chilly

I could really live without either of my servers. I don't use them for my job or anything. Just like the idea of having servers in my attic doing things 24/7 apart from when the electric bill comes in!
Community Veteran

Forgot to mention the best part about having the network that I have linked to above. I am on Broadband Premier Option 1 here with PN. For sharing my connection my friend usually gives me £20 or a load of pints to around that value per month. Do the maths and you will see the benifits I am getting from this wireless bridge!
Community Veteran

OK. You may wonder why the wireless bridge exists that I have shown in my network.
I live in the country about 5 miles from my exchange and when ADSL first came to my area I was just withen the range to get it. My friend however was not. After some research and over £400 on the equiptment I connected him to my network so he could share my broadband. Although he could now get his own MaxDsl the bridge still exists for the following reason. We play in a band and record our own music. My friend has a small studio set up in his house to record the vocals, guitar etc. He can then store the tracks on a shared mapped network drive in my Windows server where I can add the drums in my house using my Roland electric kit. Thanks to Plus Net providing me with a static IP the other members in the band also have FTP access to this drive. This would probably be the main function of my windows server.
RobDickson
Grafter

Community Veteran

RobDickson
Grafter

Despite the bad punctuation, I agree. Brilliant.
Community Veteran

Details of my vmware set-up.
http://www.chillypenguin.org/vmware/vmware.htm

Chilly
Community Veteran

And here is my network;

This is after 3 hours yesterday crawling around in the loft to run cat5 cables, so that I could remove the wireless.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Have you seen http://www.ratemynetworkdiagram.com/index.php?

Think I will submit my diagram to that. Have to change it thought cos it is about 2 years old and does not include my friends playstation 3, my linux server or the second computer I put in my kitchen.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Given that my loft turns into a small oven in the summer and a fridge in Winter I dont think I'd want to put anything up there.

I have however got plans to move my server out of the living room and park it in the spare cupboard upstairs and put a second wireless point in to give better coverage.
Community Veteran

My loft has about the same temperatute range but my servers have been running happily through this cycle for a few years. Ido have a smoke alarm screwed to a joist directly above the servers and a CO2 fire extinguisher on hand up there just in case. Of course this would be no use unless I was at home. Any ideas for building an automatic CO2 system that would cut the mains also?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules