cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook hard disk

N/A

Notebook hard disk

I am having problems with my notebook which looks like meaning I will have to reformat the hard drive and re-install windows xp. Is there any way that I can connect my notebook HD to my desktop. The connecters are a similar format but the notebook ones are much smaller. Is an adapter available?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Notebook hard disk

if you still have enough access to the notebook you could try networking them and transferring data that way, assuming that is your intention. most notebooks these days come with a 10/100mbps lan port as standard and some desktops do too. if not desktop network cards are available for about £9 and suitable cable is less than £10 too Smiley
N/A

Notebook hard disk

Surely (if its got XP) it has a cdwriter?
go from the start bar, all programs, accesorries, system tools and select backup.
This is real easy to do and if its all your documents, and those of other users, including address books, favourites etc. then backup c:\documents and settings.
then after you've reinstalled XP, or run your recovery disk you just restore from the cd.
N/A

Notebook hard disk

it may not have a cd rw drive. i've just got a laptop and it doesn't have one. only a dvd drive...
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

Notebook hard disk

You are unlikely to be able to take your hard disk out of a notebook and put it into a desktop. What you really need is a communications "something" which both units have.

As a last resort (and I do mean last) you could use serial ports with a "null modem" cable.
N/A

Notebook hard disk

You can get converter sleighs.

The best place to pick these up is a local computer fair.

They are simple units, which literaly convert the plug sizes, and intergrate the power into the IDE cable.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

Notebook hard disk

I stand corrected Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Notebook hard disk

While we are on the subject of notebook HDs, anyone know where I can pick up a cheap (but reliable one)? Mine is full of bad sectors and is likely to fail in the next few weeks or so. EBuyer has some reasonably priced ones but I'm still looking for something cheaper.

Chris
N/A

Notebook hard disk

fa55dsl.

No I don't, however, you may like to search for "empeg" and look on the un-official forums. They tend to have second hand ones going from tiem to time.

They are in full wokring order, it is just people selling them from upgrading there empeg units to 2 full capacity drives.

It is from the empeg world that I know you can get these converters.

Many people used them as a way to re-format/initialise the master drive for the unit (especialy when maxing the master drive).
N/A

Notebook hard disk

If you are looking for new notebook hard disks and/or adaptors... I tend to use Scan, www.scan.co.uk. Keep an eye on their Today only page... They have good stuff on offer daily. i.e. You may be able to find a disk cheaper elsewhere, it just won't be a 'quality brand'.
N/A

Notebook hard disk

in reply to the first question "is there an adaptor available to connect laptop drive to PC" the answer is yes. Go to a Maplin Store (or mail order) you will get what you want for £4.99, This is a flat cable with standard 40 pin plug one end and socket with power lead at the other.This presumes of course that you have a vacant space I.E that you do not have 4 other HD/CD devices fitted.

Harry.g