Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notebook Headphone Out fault?

N/A

Hi,

Firstly, Happy Easter to you all!

Now my problem....

I have just got myself my first "notebook", an excellent Acer Aspire 1355LC. I am really impressed, except for one thing. The sound output from the headphone socket.

Plugging in headphones the sound is fantastic. If I plug the headphone out to the line-in of my mixer etc, there is background hum. (I have tried different leads)

Is this because the output is really only powerfull enough for headphones?

I've got no problem if that is the case as you can buy usb sound cards etc, just thought I'd ask on here as I've got to wait untill Tuesday for the Tech-Support to open where I bought it from!!

Cheers,

Tim.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Laptops rarely have impressive sound capabilities.
If you keep the sound output from the laptop low and then increase the output on your mixing thing it might improve it slightly.

Chris
N/A

Usually, the headphone output of any audio equipment is amplified through a pre-amp and is a different impedance to a line output ( which your notebook is unlikely to have), hence the hum. You could try adjusting the volume to reduce the hum

A sound card normally has a headphone out, speaker out,line out & line in.

The USB sound card option is probably the better option.

Jeff
N/A

Check the Ohm's etc of the leads.
N/A

The problem thickens......

Laptop on batteries, sound is fine. Plug into the mains and the buzz happens.

After experimenting, if I plug the laptop direct into the amp everything is fine, even when powered off the mains so it lokks as if the psu is interferring with the mixer. Probably need ome sort of noise filter on the psu or something!!

I'll get searching.......

Cheers for all your advice this morning.

Tim.
N/A

If the sound is ok on battery then the problem is "mains hum", this should be filtered out by your psu as standard.

I'm afraid this isn't going to be an easy fix, if it was an old laptop I would suggest that putting a 0.1uF capicitor across the dc out of the psu.

You say that the laptop is new, try asking your supplier for a replacement psu, it's worth a go.

Jeff