cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise after defrag on HD

N/A

Noise after defrag on HD

Forgive my non technical speak as I am fairly new to the technical side of PCs, but
having done a defrag, I have noticed that the hard drive seems to have more louder "clicks" coming from it.. Whenever you load a programme it seems to have the odd louder click in with the normal sounds that come from a hard drive.
There are no gratting or whirring sounds or any signs of a mechanical problem with the drive, and programmes do load ok as does XP Home Edition, and the screen does not freeze.
The hard drive is silent until it is active loading etc.. could the hard drive become "sticky" or "jerky" for some reason causing this louder click. to come from the drive, but wouldn't this cause more problems? surely a defrag wouldn't cause a fault? Maybe I was just used to the sounds prior to the defrag, so it now sounds different.

Tom.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Noise after defrag on HD

Actually your drive should if anything be quieter after defragging as it no longer has to hunt all over the place for the files.
Before you did the defrag there would have been parts of files spread all over the disk which it would have to hunt arround for which needs more mechanical action than if the parts of files have been merged together.

So I am puzzled as to why you now hear more noise :?
N/A

Noise after defrag on HD

Just turn up your hi-fi a bit more so you can't hear these noises Wink
N/A

Noise after defrag on HD

HI John,
Could it be a sign of a possible fault about to occur.
Having listened to the noises, yes there are the normal small little clicks and then sometimes this louder click as the drive is more active doing something.
Now you mention it I would have expected things to be quieter, rather than this louder click occuring.
Could it be a sticky/jerky hard drive, and why would a defrag cause a possible problem. It should all be running smoother now surely.

A jerky drive wouldn't work would it?

I have masses or space left on the HD the properties of which say 4.39GB USED SPACE and FREE SPACE 33.8GB so there isn't a vast amount of stuff to load other than XP and some other programmes.
I have no Word or Works programmes and the like etc.. just don't need them, no huge amounts of images, no music/video or anything that will take time to load.

Tom :?
Alecto
Grafter

Noise after defrag on HD

Strangely enough, I had the same thing several months ago.
After a defrag, the thing started making rhythmic and very loud clicking/tapping noises which I'd never heard before.

I got the engineer out a couple of days later under warranty, by which time the noises had stopped, and the guy looked at me as though I was talking Tibetan when I described the type and especially loudness of the clicks.

It hasn't come back though, and the disk is showing no signs of malfunction so far as I can tell, so I assume it must be a sign of impending insanity on my part (and yours).

:roll:
N/A

Noise after defrag on HD

someone here posted a link to Active Smart.... looks quite good Smiley

http://www.ariolic.com/download/activesmart.exe I think it is just a trial version, but should be good enough to tell you the status of your drive(s) provided that they are SMART enabled, and SMART is enabled in the bios.
N/A

Noise after defrag on HD

Nice to know other people also have odd noises after a defrag :lol:

I shall have a look at the Active Smart info.

I was concerned the drive was going to go pear shaped. One thing I must learn to do is back up disc of all my important programmes, never done a back up before so I think it's about time to have a go just incase the HD goes bang.

Can anyone tell me if doing a back up is difficult, I hear so much about "you must back up this and that " to be ready incase of a HD failure etc..

Tom. Smiley
N/A

Noise after defrag on HD

As I have several drives, I just created a folder called backup, and periodically backup data into that folder.

exporting the emails to it
favourites
files I that I need

etc

what I also do is, keep a copy of the setup program like sygate personal firewall, avast antivirus etc there, so that it is all in one place.

what you can do, is use a dedicated hard drive, and periodically ghost the boot drive to it, that way if anything goes wrong with the boot drive, u can ghost it back either to that drive, or the replacement drive. or to be flash, you could ghost the drive onto another drive as files, and then burn those files into cd/dvd, obviously, backing up say a 250Gig drive full of stuff will take a while to burn Smiley

to me reinstalling windows ain't much of a biggy.... I usually do it every 6 months, just to make sure any lingering files that shouldn't be there are gone.
all the really important files are kept in several locations, usb pen, dvd, another hard drive, so I always have a backup to hand should I need them Smiley
Community Veteran

Noise after defrag on HD

Tom

Backing up your important files is a must.
Its not a case of if your hard drive fails but when

If you havn't got a second hard drive, and most people don't then you can easily use a CD which most people have.
Just format a Read Write CD so that you can use a program such as Instant CD abd then just drag and drop your files on to it.

If you have neither of the above then go and buy a "Pendrive" which is a solid state hard drive in the shape of a pen. This plugs in a usb slot and appears on your machine as another hard drive.
Pendrves come in various sizes but a 125 meg one can be had for about £30 and should enough to save your Data files on to.
N/A

Noise after defrag on HD

Thanks very much everybody for all your helpful suggestions and advice, most appreciated. Cheesy

I have CD burner on my machine, and have downloaded a CD burning programme called DeepBurner which I could use to burn the disc, I also have Nero Express Nero 5 which came with the burner.

Is there a web site somewhere that explains the procedure for creating a Back Up Disc, rather than take up peoples valuable time on here with my efforts to make this disc.

I do understand the real need now to make regular back ups as pointed out by John, and it is something I must learn to do Smiley

Tom.
Community Veteran

Noise after defrag on HD

You need an app that will do it all for you.

I use NTI Backup Now! 3.

It can create emergency/disaster recovery CD / DVDs of you OS/boot drive which can completely recover your drive in the event of total failure (i.e. you have to replace it). You will need a lot of CDs if you have a big OS drive or time to invest in a DVD writer - they are getting very cheap now around £40->£50.

It can also do periodic backups and incremental backups which I do daily. I actually have several drives and backup each to the other rather than backups to CDs. Much quicker and easier to deal with. It can also do network backups, has a 30 day free trial and is not expensive to buy.