cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound on webcam over MSN

N/A

Bit confused with this one.. I've just bought a pair of webcams, both of which work fine on the PC and record both audio and video. I can share video over MSN, but when I try audio, it tries to make a connection then it fails. This happens when I try from either end and with or without video running. Both PCs are reasonable spec and both running plusnet adsl.

I updated the drivers on this PC last night, (both DirectX and the logitech driver) and will be doing the other one today. Didn't seem to make any difference from this end though so not holding out great hopes.

Any ideas folks? Oh, they are both Logitech Quick Cam Messengers.. :?
11 REPLIES
N/A

I suspect the ports which are needed are being blocked either by a firewall on your pc or a firewall on a router.

Do you use UPnP? Can you describe your setup? i.e. what firewall you use? router or modem etc.

Thanks,

Aaron
N/A

Both PC use Zonealarm, no hardware firewalls on either. Mines a PCI ADSL modem, (Conexant) and the other PC is using a USB modem, (not sure of the make). Both supplied by Plus net when we took out the adsl package.

No routers on either PC and we're not using UPnP. To be honest, not heard of this so am currently nosing around to find out what I can about it..
N/A

UPnP stands for universal plug and play, and basically means that software can issue commands to open and close ports on a firewall or router at will. If the router or firewall is UPnP Capable, it will respond to these commands and open or close the required ports.

However since your not using a router and Zone alarm to my knowledge doesn't support UPnP to open and close ports, it's of little use in this case.

Have you allowed MSN Messenger full incoming and outgoing access within Zone Alarm, i.e. internet and server .
N/A

Thanks - a far simpler explanation of UPnP than I was getting from the web..

As far as I know both PCs have allowed messenger full access. We cna share video ok, but there is a problem with sound, (i.e. none of it).

Any idea if things like Spysweeper would interfere? It continually found backweb and suggested I remove it; wondering if by removing that it interferes with the webcam?..
N/A

Yes spyware can affect internet applications but I'm not 100% sure it would actually stop a specific function within MSN.

However I would suggest runing ad-aware and spybot - search and destory, over your PC. They are the best current anti-spyware programs.

Aaron
N/A

System's are both clean, no change. This is starting to bug me now..
N/A

Have you tried shutting down your firewall and their firewall, just to test to see if it works and also if it's one of your firewalls that's causing the problem.

Aaron
Community Veteran

Getting audio to work over MSN seems to be a bit of a "Black Art" I have had great difficulty with this and only managed to make it work when both routers at each end were UPnP enabled.
Even then it seems to be quite common to get one way transmission so that either I can hear the other end but they can't hear me or the other way round.
eventually after a few retries we can get 2 way communications.

What happens when you have pressed the audio button and the far end has accepted? What message do you get?
N/A

I remember a while back I spent days trying to get audio to work only to find out UPnP was disabled and I couldn't enable it. Even if you're using ZoneAlarm, for audio to work over MSN you must have UPnP enabled, you can check it in the services control panel (under Administrative Tool).

Something I can get yet is how are these PC's set up to connect to the internet? You said you bought a pair of cameras and you said for ADSL one is PCI and one is USB...so are you connecting two PC's on two separate phone lines or are they networked?
N/A

Even if you're using ZoneAlarm, for audio to work over MSN you must have UPnP enabled

But enabling UPnP won't have any effect here, as there are no UPnP devices/software that could respond the UPnP, or this a software bug. Where it needs to be enabled regardless of whether it's need, in order for it to work.
N/A

Yep I have come across this before in both mine and my sisters set up, assuming everthing is plug and play is working correctly, upon the messenger being open there is an option to run the camera/audio wizzard, use that option and it configures the webcam and mic, it worked for me and my sister.

Hope it helps! Smiley