cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No power to motherboard - faulty case wires/jumpers???

henderson1977
Grafter

Hi all

I bought an ATX midi-tower case with 400W PSU. I removed my working ATX motherboard with processor/RAM/drives/etc from another ATX case and installed into the new case, but it won't boot at all!

I have a PSU Tester and the every power connection on the PSU is working fine. I tried another working PSU, so it cannot be the PSU at fault.

I tried another working motherboard/etc in the case and still not booting, no power/lights at all, just nothing.

So I suspect the wires (or jumpers) that are connected to the case, i.e. PWR ON, PWR LED, RESET SW, etc... are faulty. I have double-checked there are covering their respective jumpers and have even switched them around, just in case, but still no power!

Would others agree the wires/jumpers in the case are faulty and are preventing the PC from booting? If so and apart from buying another case, another suggestion please?

Thanks
Scott
6 REPLIES
N/A

Possibly the jumpers, although it may be the 'Power Good' signal from your mobo preventing the board from booting.

Are you showing power on any of the PSU outputs with it plugged into the mobo and switched on?
N/A

Hi,

Just a thought (you probably have) did you use the risers that screw into the case before the motherboard is mounted? and did you use the correct I/O shield?

The case wires, i wouldn’t think they are faulty it could possibly be a faulty switch. You can try a metal object such as a screwdriver and put it across the jumpers to see if it starts (last resort)

Have you plugged in the 4 pin power connector? Only other i can suggest is to try everything outside of the case to get it working (just use the bare minimum to get it running)
henderson1977
Grafter

Screw it! ;o)

Thanks guys, got it working now. It was the screws causing it not to boot!

Trying my best not to bore you with the full story... I bought the case from an eBay shop... I tried to screw in the mobo with the supplied screws but the height of the I/O shield meant the mobo was resting at an angle and the screws couldn't reach the holes... so after receiving no help from the supplier, I bought some longer screws from Wilkos & screwed in the mobo fine, but wouldn't boot... so (on your advice), I removed the screws & it booted fine... so I figured there was a problem with the screws... so I slotted the small, round, brown washers on each screw and it now boots fine. I think there must be a compound in the screws causing the mobo to not boot to prevent blowing it, a safety mechanism, perhaps roypenfold's suggestion of the "Power Good" signal (whatever that is).

So all in all, a learning experience but a working PC - YAY!

Many thanks to you both once again!!!

Scott
N/A

np's glad to see you got it sorted in the end Cheesy
Denzil
Grafter

"a compound in the screws" - no, it was probably the head of a screw touching a power track on the mobo an dshorting to the case, hence causing the power supply to shut down. Fitting the washers will have insulated the screw from the board. Good learning experience, though!
henderson1977
Grafter

indeed! Thanks all again for your helpfulness Cheesy