cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No o/s disks included

mjtuohy
Grafter

No o/s disks included

Dear all. I might be buying a base unit p/c. The blurb says xp home preloaded no o/s disks included. Does this mean if I want to re'format I can use the x/p disc I allready have for my main pc and just enter the lience Number that will come with the new p/c. ?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to the correct forum.
9 REPLIES
N/A

No o/s disks included

The PC manufacturer should provide a means to reinstall the OS even if it doesn't come with disks (i.e. there should be a disk image, restore software, or whatever - it may be on the hard disk).
Community Veteran

No o/s disks included

Its rare to get a Windows XP CD with PCs now. They are pre-installed OEM copies which can only be used on the PC it is supplied on. They also usually come with a restore/rescue CD or a restore/rescue partition on the hard disk from which you can reload your PC to the factory setup.

If you have an XP CD, is it an upgrade, a retail copy or an OEM copy. Only an OEM CD will work with the key supplied with your new PC as an OEM key will not work on an upgrade or retail XP copy. But as above, you should have a means to restore it rather than having to use your own CD.
mjtuohy
Grafter

No o/s disks included

Thanks for replies. It's a base unit from BigPockets, and it does not say anything other than what I quoted above. Makes me think that if I do need to re'format I could be in a bit of a corner. My daughter (who I would be purchacing it for) D/Ls so much rubbish via msn that I like to re'format every now and again to sort it out.
N/A

No o/s disks included

assuming you have the oem license key attached to the chassis, you could always obtain the XP media on CD to use along with it, this is perfectly legal Cheesy
jagger
Grafter

Re: No o/s disks included

Dear all. I might be buying a base unit p/c. The blurb says xp home preloaded no o/s disks included. Does this mean if I want to re'format I can use the x/p disc I allready have for my main pc and just enter the lience Number that will come with the new p/c. ?

Yes.
Community Veteran

No o/s disks included

@jagger

"Yes" might not always be the case. Certain blocks of license no's are allocated to different types of install and I have found that very often a license number will NOT be accepted with an install from an older CD.
Community Veteran

No o/s disks included

I have found the same thing.

Chilly
N/A

No o/s disks included

The wise move is to buy Acronis diskimage from
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/

and as soon as you get the pc create an image with this you will be able to restore the pc without any MS XP Cd. It also lets you create a rescue partition with which you press F11 on boot up and it restore the pc to its original state.

Its a cheaper option than buying windows xp and will restore the drive in 15 mins or less depending on the pc
mjtuohy
Grafter

No o/s disks included

Thanks all. Sorry for the delay in replying. I am not well, so have been in bed when not at work. Better to be ill this week than next though. HO HO HO Merry Christmas javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing