cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mouse

DerekB
Grafter

No mouse

I have two older computers given to me for our charity but I can't get either of them to see the mouse. Win98.

I'm using a ps2 mouse with a convertor plug in to the Com1 serial socket. Although there is a ps2 connector on the mbd there is no socket.
I've tried several mice including an old Microsoft one which clearly says serial or ps2.

I thought I was very competent with computer problems but I'm definately having a senior moment on this!

All (computer) comments gratefully received.
Derek
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No mouse

First, I would check the serial port COM 1 and COM 2 are enabled in the BIOS.

Next do you have a win98 CD version that matches what is installed on the PC. If so you could try reinstalling wondows over the top of the existing install - I think you will need the Win98 licence key to do this - but this will keep your existing installed software etc.

Failing that, you need to get to the add new hardware wizzard and get the system to scan for a serial mouse. After the system boots up, you need to use the keyboard to access the start icon. If you have a windows keyboard press one of the windows keys or use tab to get to the start button and press ALT-S or return. Then use the keyboard arrow keys or tab and return to get to the control panel. Then use tab to get to the add new hardware icon then press return. Use tab to move between fields and buttons and get it to scan your system. Hopefully it will then find the serial mouse and install the driver for it.

There probably is an easy file to edit to do this but I don't know it.
N/A

No mouse

I have never known one of the converters to work and I have tried loads.

You need to get a serial mouse(and that can be fun getting one try a charity shop).

You cant buy them anymore but there must be milions discarded
DerekB
Grafter

No mouse

Thanks for the replies - yes I've reloaded Win98 - official CD - yes I've checked that the ports are enabled in the Bios - yes I've tried to detect with the wizard.

None of it detects the mouse.

Regarding the convertor - I'm talking about the ps2 tplug to serial port plug adaptor - I've used them in the past - tried 3 differnt ones.
No difference.

Derek