cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie to Networking Needs Help

N/A

Sometime with the next 12 months i'm planning to link 2 computers together they will both share the same ADSL, Printer and Scanner. As I understand it I need a router for the ADSL part (the Netgear DG834G seems quite popular), but what would need for both computers to share the same printer and scanner?.

Cheers,

Carl
11 REPLIES
N/A

If you connect the two computers via the router and enable printer and file sharing, you should be able to use the printer and scanner on either computer.
Community Veteran

If you get yourelf a router with several ports (normally 4) then your Pcs will be networked if they each have a network card installed.
Once they are networked then sharing a printer is easy but Im not sure that you can directly control a scanner on one PC from the other.
I have a scanner on on of my networked PCs and I use that machine to scan with but can then transfer the file produced to any of my other machines.
N/A

You cant share a scanner as its a none sharable device.
N/A

Shockedops: how very true, I was thinking from a scan in and file transfer method.
N/A

If or not you can use a scanner over a network will depend ont he scanner and the software available.

Good quality scanners often come with the software needed.

Certainly the Epson 1680 Pro has networking functions. You install the scanner driver and a small scanner server on the host system. You then install the Epson network driver onto all other systems.

You then scan the way you normaly would, only the network is used as the transfer medium.
N/A

get your self a printer with a network card in.. makes it ooo so much easier.

also, using Printer sharing opens up a whole range of security risks and the like Sad

if you have to print somfin from the 2nd box the 1st one would be on any way so just go use that one to print the file.

Buz
zpeterk
Grafter

If you get a router with a print server built in you can print from either machine without the other being on and no nework security issue. I had a Netgear FR114P and that was good the USR 8000-02 is cheap (17.65+vat) but less secure. I ought to point out with these you need a ethernet modem like a Dlink 300T(34+vat)
N/A

There are hundreds of ways of doing this.

FYI. Epson now do a scanner server, so you no longer need a host computer, just the scanner, the server unit (oversized DVD case size) and the Epson netwrok Twain driver.

For printers, you can get rotuers with built in printer server, decicated pritner serers and my favourate the Apple AirPort Express (USB print server, wireless AP and wireless speakers when used with iTunes).
LiamM
Grafter

I have print sharing switched on and I'm not sure which security risks you are on about. I have a router with a firewall and doing a port scan and test gives me Stealth Mode results. What risks are associated with enabling Print Sharing? I'm sure none if you have a decent firewall or router.

and Carl, which OS are you using? Windows XP is very easy to network. Especially with a router with a DHCP server. Setting up a simple P2P network is a whizz with the home networking wizard.

liam
N/A

Thanks the the replies guys, oh and the O.S is Windows XP Home Edition. For the router the Netgear DG834 seems popular within these forums. I'm not sure on how I would connect it. My motherbaord (an Abit IC7-Max3) has a built in LAN connector, so do I simply connect the router into the LAN connector :?

Forgive my lack of networking/router intelligence.

Carl
Community Veteran

You just connect an Ethernet cable between your motherboards thernet port and one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the DG834. Make sure your PC is setup to obtain it's IP automatically and then just reboot. You should then just be able to enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser address bar and login to the router to set it up.