cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Networking Questions

N/A

I'm wanting to network - preferrably wirelessly - two computers in our flat. The main purpose of the network is to share our adsl connection. I signed up for EasyStart and received our USB modem. We're still waiting for activation, but I thought I'd get on with the networking side of things so that once we are activated, we won't have anything else to set up and both of us can be happy little surfing campers.

I looked at different routers and settled on a KCorp Silver series wireless router. There were a couple of things that I wasn't aware of until the equipment arrived today. The main one being the USB port on the router is not enabled, and the router only works with an Ethernet connection. The second mistake I made was not realising that what I was purchasing was ONLY a router. I made the assumption that as routers are used for networking - that the standard router package would come with at least one access point. So I can't network the computers at the moment even if all I wanted to do was fileshare.

So - I guess I need to get a wireless card for my husband's computer. AND I need to get an Ethernet adsl modem. (Not happy - as we've not even started using the USB modem supplied by PN! I suppose I could always Ebay it.)

Will any wireless card work? Or do I have to try and find a KCorp specific one? We've both got network cards in our computers - but will the Ethernet cables plug into them? Or do I have to buy an Ethernet adapter as well?

Someone keep me from buying more useless equipment! LOL

Thanks in advance,

Ilene
6 REPLIES
N/A

Just another thought I'm having -- Anyone know if a USB to Ethernet adaptor would work - so I could carry on using the USB modem and still have an Ethernet connection to the router?

Ta,

Ilene
Community Veteran

Forget about the USB to Ethernet adaptor, they are way too expensive and don't always work. Especialy when you can get a 10/100 network card for £5->£10.

Does your new wireless router also have an ADSL modem built in? If not, it will be no good anyway as you can't use your Binatone with it (easily).

I would recomend you get a Netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G ADSL modem/router/4 port hub/wireless access point.

You then connect one of your PCs directly using an Ethernet cable and the other can connect via a separtely purchased wireless access point or wireless network card or USB wireless card.

If you want both to connect using wireless you also need to putchase a 2nd wireless network card.
N/A

Thanks for your rapid reply!

Forget about the USB to Ethernet adaptor, they are way too expensive and don't always work. Especialy when you can get a 10/100 network card for £5->£10.

Does your new wireless router also have an ADSL modem built in? If not, it will be no good anyway as you can't use your Binatone with it (easily).

The new router doesn't have an ADSL modem built in - and only will work with an Ethernet modem. Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick with the phrase 'USB to Ethernet Adaptor' - I was thinking that this may be an adaptor which could be used to create a connection that is a USB connection, but needed to be adapted to fit an Ethernet connection. [USB Modem] ----USB cable ---[USB to Ethernet adapter] ---- [Wireless Router] (Same sort of concept as a PS2 to USB adapter?)

Both computers already have a 10/100 network card in them - the adapter, at least in my mind, was to connect the modem cable to the ethernet cable for the router. It was just a theory I was pondering as I was trying to figure out what the heck we're going to do next. I know USB to Ethernet adaptors do exist - but I think I had a different idea as to what they do. LOL

My thoughts when I purchased this router was that the router would wirelessly connect the two computers and then we'd use ICS to share the adsl connection. But apparently that won't work because the router can only use an Ethernet modem.

If you want both to connect using wireless you also need to putchase a 2nd wireless network card.

So the 10/100 network cards we've got really don't have a purpose if we've got a wireless connection?

I'm trying to avoid purchasing a combined router/modem - at least until I find out how much money I'll be able to get back if I return the Kcorp router. At the moment, it looks like I'll be losing at least £20 if I return it. I've got about £150 worth of new equipment which is all incapable of networking our computers - 2 network cards, USB adsl modem, and a wireless router. So my options are either buying an Ethernet modem and a wireless network card and using the router I currently have OR returning the original router (and scrapping the USB modem) and spending £100 on the NetGear router recommended, losing at least £20 on the unused router, and having a useless USB adsl modem. As we've already max-ed out our finances, I'm just trying to find the cheapest solution.

Thanks again,

Ilene
Community Veteran

Unfortuneatly you have fallen into the trap many novice networking users do in not fully understanding what equipment they are buying, what they really wanted to do and how it would interconnect with their existing setup.

You have 2 options:

1) Try and get your current hardware working together - It may be possible but I have no knowledge of the KCorp router so can't really help but I think it is possible using ICS.

2) Setup a much simpler configuration by purchasing the Netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G and returning your KCorp router.

For option 1, you use your current USB modem to connect to the Internet and connect the KCorp via an Ethernet cable to your PC. You then setup ICS to link your router to the USB device. You then configure the router to work with a wireless connection. You then need a wireless network card for your other PC which then communicates to the router and via that through ICS to the USB modem and the internet.

For option 2, return the KCorp router and by the netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G. Discard the USB modem (uninstall all the divers) and connect the router to your network card via Ethernet cable. The router will then be used to link you to the internet. Then use a wireless network card in the other PC to comminucate with it.

The above are simple instructions as explaining everything in this thread will really take too long.
N/A

Thanks for all your help.

I've emailed KCorp and they've said that I could use the set up the router so that it works as a hub, rather than a router. I think for the time being this is the option that we're going to go with. It's a pain in the bum, but... if it works still we can get a decent ethernet modem, then at least we've cut the additional expenses in half for the time being.
http://www.kcorplifestyle.com/support_techNotes.htm

So, it looks that at least for the time being, the situation is sorted. Just double-checking though - the info from KCorp says we need to get an Ethernet card. If I'm not mistaken - what they're referring to is a NIC that ethernet cables can be plugged into, correct? Not something in addition to the 10/100 NIC we've got already.

You're right - we did get pulled into the newbie networking trap. We started off with the advice of our local computer shop - but ended up abandoning them after their quote for the equipment given to my husband was 60% less than the quote they gave to me. I feel like I should have gotten a degree in networking before embarking on this - but I guess you live and learn, eh?

Thanks again,

Ilene
Community Veteran

If you already have a 10/100Mbs Ethernet card or port in your PC (most modern PCs come with an inbuilt Ethernet port) then you don't need any additional Network cards (NICs).

There are very few Ethernet modems around and they are expensive (compared to buying an all in one device with a modem). The only one I know about is D-Link DSL-300T @ £47