cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to laptops question..

Highlighted
N/A

I have just bought a new laptop (acer travelmate 2420) So out the box pluged it in,powered up all working very well,pluged it in to the Netgear DG 834.... and well I was amazed..within 30 seconds I was on the net !!!! I did not do a thing. But..................
I understand that laptops can run hot ,so is there a program that can check all this with ? I have MBM5 on my PC,but only finds the CPU on the laptop ??

Many thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

Laptops go through a hell of a lot of testing before they hit the production lines to make sure they dont over-heat. Just make sure you have it on a flat surface so the fans can expel/intake air.

Most new laptops are set up from the factory to turn off at any signs of over-heating. Also they use technology that allows the hardware to almost turn itself off when its not being used or its being used lightly (web browsing). This then in turn keeps the temperatures down.

If it does over-heat you will just get a new laptop heh.

Anyway sorry for going slighly off-topic. You could try this program to monitor the temperatures:

http://files.aoaforums.com/I2231-everesthome220.exe.html

Also try going to the laptop manufacturers website to see if they have any utilities for this. Most of the time these utilities will be on one of the disks that came with the laptop Wink
N/A

Many thanks for the advice Phearfactor,have downloaded program..
Thanks again
Community Veteran

there's also a neat little program called cpuidle from i think the same people as mbm which keeps your processor from consuming too many cycles and thus reduces heat production (and i suppose power consumption). not free but very inexpensive: http://www.cpuidle.de
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

I am told that they are no longer called "laptops", they are now "notebook computers". This is so you can't sue the manufacturers if you burn your lap while using them! (Must be an American idea!)