cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New motherboard

Denzil
Grafter

New motherboard

I have just bought a new Biostar 210V small form factor PC and swapped all the components from my old Shuttle. ( The processor and memory were made for DDR400, but the Shuttle only did DDR266).

Windows XP sorted itself out reasonably well after many driver installations and restarts, but Suse Linux doesn't start. I am still a bit of a newb with linux so would appreciate some help.

It starts booting, then says "Waiting for device dev/hda4 to appear... Not found", then a long list of mush like tty0 tty1 tty2 etc, then

No root device found: exiting to bin/sh
sh: can't access tty:job control turned off
$

I guess I need to start YAST or something to configure the new hardware, but I am not sure how! I have an installation DVD and Live CD, if either of those will help.
6 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

New motherboard

Hi Denzil
I notice that the biostar has SATA are you installing suse onto a sata drive as ive seen the odd problem or two regarding compatability

The module can only operate the SATA disk if the SATA controller in the BIOS has been set to the compatibility mode, once this BIOS setting has been configured the kernel module detects the hard disk and you can proceed with the installation

I dont know if this is the problem but its worth taking a look
N/A

New motherboard

probably a diff SATA controller onboard which suse wont know about. best bet would be to install suse again so it installs with the correct hardware drivers etc.
Denzil
Grafter

New motherboard

I have kept the IDE hard drive and all other components from the previous machine, so effectively it is just a new motherboard. Another simple question - if I do a new install will it overwrite my /home? The important stuff is backed up, but it would be good to keep what is already there.
N/A

New motherboard

if you want to back stuff up, i recomend you download knoppix live cd, boot to that, copy all your files out of you /home folder to somewhere else on your network, and then just wipe your hard drives. you can never really know what it will overwrite when you install it again(its not like windows in this respect)
N/A

New motherboard

If /home is mounted on the same partition as the rest of the OS then it *may* overwrite so make backups. If /home isn't on the same partition it will be Okay providing you go with custom disk setup and make sure /home is not set to be formatted.

It is always a good idea to have as a minimum /boot, /, /home and swap on their own partitions and if you have the diskspace put /var and /usr onto their own partitions.
Denzil
Grafter

New motherboard

Sounds good advice. I'll sort it somehow. Thanks guys.