cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New hard drive and drive size different

N/A

I added a existing harddrive to my machine today..its a 200gb HDD.

Drivers been installed but when i look under computer managent and disk management i get it saying only 23gb disk space and not 200gb

I tried removing the drivers and keep geting the same cant get my full 200gb

please help anyone
9 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

Have you got SP2 installed if you are using windows, and did you use the disc/software from the company who made you drive?
N/A

What drivers have you installed as normally you dont need drivers for a HD.

Does the bios detect it ok? Can you boot from a 98 floppy or simliar if so what does fdisk report the size as?

Are the jumpers set right?
N/A

how old is the motherboard ? what chip are you running (p3 p4 etc)
Alecto
Grafter

or look at this for the common causes of the drive showing the wrong capacity.
N/A

Have you got SP2 installed if you are using windows, and did you use the disc/software from the company who made you drive?

Yeh i have SP2 installed. The disc is made my samsung. And i just got the HDD no drviers or software CD.

What drivers have you installed as normally you dont need drivers for a HD.

Does the bios detect it ok? Can you boot from a 98 floppy or simliar if so what does fdisk report the size as?

Are the jumpers set right?

Well its been installed by windows itself. I never inserted no drivers thew windows msg came up that its ready for use.

The bios Detected ok. The jumpers settings are ok. I made it as a slave as the hdd im using is the master.

how old is the motherboard ? what chip are you running (p3 p4 etc)

The Motherboard is less than 1 year old and is intel Celeron 2.4ghz.
N/A

Check to make sure you dont have the CAP LIMIT jumper set on your hard disk.
N/A

I aonly have one place to change the cap limit and dat seems to be same place where i change the slave and master settings.
N/A

what happens if you just have that disk installed (no other drive) does the bios see it as the correct size?if you put a windows install disk in, dose it see it as the correct size?
N/A

Depending on your Hard Disk type - this is based on maxtor

There a few options depending on jumper settings

Master, CS Select, Cap limit and slave.

You need to set the drive to master if there is no other drive on the ribbon cable or slave (usually no jumpers connected) if there is another disk drive on the ribbon cable.

Also your machine can use CS (cable select) if no other drive is on the same ribbon cable.

If there is one or more jumpers you may have set the drive to either master or CS and cap limit - if your not sure - remove all the jumpers and see if the disk is displayed as the correct size is BIOS.

I dont think the 48Bit limitation applies here at the drive is too small.