cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New digital phones jiggered my ADSL

N/A

I've been struggling with networking problems with my Mac since updating to OS X 10.3.7 last week. And I mean *struggling*.

It turns out my horrendous ADSL speed (slower than dialup) was caused not by the update (as first thought) but by some flashy new Dect phones that my better half installed the day after I performed the OS update. Unplug the phone from the filter in the wall port: ADSL back up to speed.

Shucks. Why the heck didn't I try that before?!?!?!?!

Thought I'd just post - in case anyone else has been experiencing similar problems that might be related to Christmas sales-related merchandise!
5 REPLIES
N/A

I use dect phones, the main base unit actually sits on top of pc (probably not a good idea) and never have any problems, it could be that the paticular phone is faulty, what about your microfilters, are they home bought or bt mounted ones?? does your old phone have the same effect, if not, then it more than likely is the phones have some sort of fault on them
N/A

Dect Phones are known to cause problems with ADSL, but normally a good filter will solve this problem anyway.

I have 3 dect phones connected up, and once I got some good filters I didn't have any further problems.

Aaron
N/A

It was getting late last night when I made my discovery and I wasn't quite as observant as I might have been. Turns out the phone had been plugged directly into the filter's ADSL port (my router's plugged into another jack in another room).

Feeling really rather silly. Shockedops:

Thanks for your posts though fellas.
Community Veteran

I helped out a friend last year that was having problem with there dailup connection.
That turned out to be their cordless phone, causing crackles on the line.

When having problems like this I recommend unplugging all other telephones answer machines etc, and connecting the computer to the BT master socket, if possible. Then work back from there reconnecting each item in turn, and then all together.

Also check the REN numbers on the phones do not exceed 4, as this can overload the BT line.

Chilly
N/A

It was getting late last night when I made my discovery and I wasn't quite as observant as I might have been. Turns out the phone had been plugged directly into the filter's ADSL port (my router's plugged into another jack in another room).

Feeling really rather silly. Shockedops:

Thanks for your posts though fellas.

and theres me thinking, I was alone in my padded cell!