cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build Computer not booting to BIOS

N/A

Hi, posting here again about my new PC build. I have put everything together and checked everything and pushed the button but the system does not boot to the BIOS. It did once after about a 15 second delay after pressing the on button but nothing since. All the fans are working including heatsink, chip and graphics card. Can any of the techie experts hazard a guess what could be wrong.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

My spec is:

1 x Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Midi Tower - With 450W SmartPower2.0 PSU
1 x Sony OEM 3.5 Floppy Drive Black
1 x Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe S939 NF4 SLI ATX - Sound 2xgln 1394 USB2 SATA
1 x AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3000+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor
2 x Corsair (VS512MB400) 512MB, DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, 184 DIMM, unbuffered, CL2.5, 32Mx8 DRAMs,
1 x Seagate ST3120022A 120GB 7200RPM UDMA/100 2MB Cache - OEM
1 x PNY Verto GeForce 6 6600GT PCI-E 128MB GDDR3 (G66600GN1F12XPB) Retail
1 x NEC ND3550A 16x DVD&RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Black) - OEM
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do you have a system speaker, if so is it beeping when you turn your computer on?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Might sound very silly but is the on/off button stuck.
The motherboard looks for a single push and if it remains down it switches itself straight off again.
Guess who took about half an hour to spot that one I needed to take the front off the case to find it.
N/A

Make sure the speaker is plugged in to your motherboard correctly, the board you have gives voice alerts on start up if it detects any issues.

Take 1 stick of RAM out and just use one, make sure its seated correctly. Re-seat your graphics card also triple check all of your connections.

Try to get the system running with the minimum hardware needed, unplug your drives for now.

Im pretty sure your RAM may not be seated correctly.
N/A

Thanks will try all that Like I said it switches on but does not beep and go the BIOS.

Appreciate all your help
Community Veteran

Just an additional point. Make sure you have the 24 pin and the correct 4 pin power connectors properly inserted (not the EZ plug as you are not using SLI)
N/A

Just an additional point. Make sure you have the 24 pin and the correct 4 pin power connectors properly inserted (not the EZ plug as you are not using SLI)

Im sure the 24pin power connector will be ok as his cpu fan spins up.

The "P4" connector looks like this

This needs to be pluged in, top left of your motherboard.[
N/A

Tried all the above but nothing but fans spinning. I have plugged the atx 4 pin cable in as you suggest paco2k5 but that was in from the start with the 24 pin power cable. I have tested all connections and removed and replaced the memory and graphics.

The only thing I am unsure about is the little connectors such as hdd light, speaker, power e.t.c. as the motherboard book doesn't tell me which way round they go but they are all in the correct slots.

Beginning to think I a have afaulty motherboard. Its just strange that it did boot to Bios on one occasion.
Community Veteran

There is another possibility which is the motherboard shorting out due to a support stud being in the wrong place.
.Unless paco2k5 can come up with another check the next thing I would suggest is removing the motherboard from the case and sitting it on the insulating bag it came in and build it up outside the case. If you then connect the power supply, speaker and the on/off switch, one stick of memory and the graphics card but no other drives and the monitor
You should also try clearing the cmos using the jumper as per the manual before trying anything else
N/A

Yep worth trying everything outside of the case.

Just one question - did you use the brass stand-offs that screw into the case before mounting the motherboard? These stop your motherboard shorting out on the case itself.
N/A

OK, its working but I am not sure what fixed it. I did the cmos reset thing and tried it three times and nothing.

Then I checked the jumper switch on the back of the hard drive it has three settings. master, cable or (something similar) and restrict GB. I switched it to master and it all worked.

Thanks for all the advice about what to check. I have taken my time with this project and followed the book word for word including ensuring I screwed in the brass stud things for the motherboard.

Two problems remain. Firstly, the hard disk light doesn't flash and the power light on the front of the case doesn't work?

secondly, I have front mounted usb, firewire and sound but the motherboard book says not to plug the cable directly into the motherboard or it could damage it.?

I appreciate your advice and support
Community Veteran

Ok at least its now working.
I'm surprised that having the jumper set wrong on the hard drive should have stopped it booting to bios but in any case as you only have one hard drive its now set right.
Power LED - looking at the manual it shows + and - connectors as does the hard drive LED so my first suggestion is to turn them round
Regarding the front USB ports I suspect you are getting confused with the warning not to plug a 1394 cable (Firewire) into the usb connectors on page 2.27 and 2.24
I am not familiar with firewire at all but I assume that this is the IEEE1394 connector but it isn't clear whether this will work with a front connector. Perhaps someone can clarify that.
Regarding the front usb ports you connect those to the points explained in 2.24 but make sure the polarities match. They should but make sure al the same
N/A

holtlane I think you were correct I dont think the jumper was the problem as it didn't boot to Bios again today. I took it into a shop in the end and they are looking at it. I hope I haven't damaged the motherboard in anyway. Cry

Whats the worst case financially and technically. Sad
Community Veteran

Difficult to say. It depends where the problem is.
Off hand it could be Motherboard or power supply.
Assuming the shop don't find that you have fried the motherboard by putting a stud in the wrong place (or even if you have} you may only get stuck for the shop's investigation charge and then you can rma the faulty part or parts.
You are going to have to wait, fingers crossed for the answer. Cry

Further thought - as you managed to get it to boot once it is unlikely that you fried the board so it either means a fauly board (not your fault) or a power supply. I wouldn't have expected anything else to give those symptoms but I can always be wrong.
N/A

Two problems remain. Firstly, the hard disk light doesn't flash and the power light on the front of the case doesn't work?

That'll be most likely because you haven't plugged the LED cables into the motherboard headers correctly. This can be quite fiddly and it's not hard to miss a pin (and thus overlap one plug with another socket).
In fact, on my mobo the number of pins on the header doesn't match the number of sockets on the cable (ridiculous: you would have thought these things were standard), so I have no LED indicators running, but it doesn't stop the PC from working.

secondly, I have front mounted usb, firewire and sound but the motherboard book says not to plug the cable directly into the motherboard or it could damage it.?
I appreciate your advice and support

Sounds odd. You should be able to plug the cable from the front mounts to the header on the motherboard with no problems. The IEEE1394 connector is your firewire header. Like holtlane says, this is probably a warning about connecting external USB/Firewire cables straight into the motherboard.