cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hard Disk Not Been Recognised On Boot-Up!

edde
Dabbler

Had a PC suffer hard disk failure at the weekend so got a replacement, unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to work, i.e.

1) When the PC is booted up you can go into the BIOS and use the auto-detect option and the HardDisk is correctly identified and the settings can be saved.

2) When you then re-boot from a WinME system floppy it does not recognise the HardDisk and therefore has no C: drive and cannot be formatted etc.

The motherboard is a Micro-Star model MS-6340 with Amibios v1.3 and the HardDisk is an ExcelStor J240.

Looking around the net I haven't found any particular probs with either of the above does anyone have any suggestions please?
8 REPLIES
N/A

First of all, the disk needs to be partitioned, so that it can be formatted.

When booting from the floppy disk, use the "fdisk" command.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Check you set the master/slave jumper correctly.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
edde
Dabbler

First of all, the disk needs to be partitioned, so that it can be formatted.

When booting from the floppy disk, use the "fdisk" command.

C: drive doesn't exist so I can't format etc.

Check you set the master/slave jumper correctly.

Its the only harddisk in the PC so it is set to master, the same as the duff one it replaced.

I even tried changing the jumper settings to clip it from 40GB down to 33GB as the troubleshooting guide suggested but to no avail. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Then its:

1. A dead HDD - hope you bought it locally and get get it tested easily in the shop.
2. Faulty IDE lead - test with the old one or the supplied cable
3 Faulty IDE port - try in IDE 2
4. Bios needing updated for the HDD - check your mobo can take that size of HDD
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Have you tried FDISK as suggested by Philip, until you carry out this task you wont have a C: Drive.

When performing the fdisk command, create a primary dos partion and set it to active.

Exit fdisk and reboot with floppy disk, you should then be able to format drive c:

Darren
edde
Dabbler

Cheers for the suggestions guys, I'll check it out when I get back home tonight.
gosforth
Grafter

Try the hard disk manufacturer's web site to see if they have diagnostic / disk repair utilities. I have had 'dead' disks which have been recovered by fitness test programs (IBM). I think the IBM fitness test program also works with other makes of disk.

Chris
N/A

If the bios is seeing the drive the chances are its ok or it wouldnt see it.

Check you have a udma/100 cable. boot from the floppy and use fdisk as suggested by others or get diskmanager or simliar from the disk manufacturer.

Its possable your boot disk is corupt so try another one