cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking with a router (beginner)

N/A

I've recently setup a two computer network via a crossover cable and Internet connection sharing. It works, most of the time. I used the network wizard on the xp machine (Voyager adsl modem) and used the floppy that made, to set up the win98se machine.

The two computers are in different rooms adjacent to each other (Doors are close - 4 metres to telephone socket) and as I say it works most of the time. Until, my nephew has a late night, turns off the computer (XP) or the Voyager modem needs reconnecting. Getting him to wake up and unlock the door is seemingly impossible, which leaves the win98se computer without an internet connection. Annoying, if my sister needs to see her email urgently. Personally. I'd get an axe and chop my way in but they won't let me.

So, I think the best thing is to get a router, thats always on so that theres no need for the XP machine to be on all the time.

Do I just need a 4 port router with ADSL modem built in, plug straight ethernet cables from each computer into it or do I need switches, hubs or whatever? Can I still use the usb modem in the router?

If anyone could explain in simple terms or point me to a website that does the same I'd be grateful. Or I could just get the axe...
7 REPLIES
N/A

if you get a 4 port adsl router, you will be able to hook each machine into the router, and the router into the telephone line.

the router is essentially a mini pc, so whereas currently you are connecting to the xp machine, with the router, both machines will be connecting to the router.

you will not need a hud/switch as the name suggests, it already has a 4 port switch built in.

I'm not certain about this, but all the routers I have looked at have a built in adsl modem, some may not, I dunno, but if you get one with an adsl modem built in, then you can put the usb modem in a draw somewhere for emergencies Smiley

I'll have a look for some websites...
N/A

You can buy routers without modems, they tend to be called Broadband routers which can lead to some confusion.

As long as you know this and you look for a router with an ADSL modem then there isn't a problem.

Cheers
Zen
N/A

Thanks for the replies.

I take it I can turn off Internet connection sharing if I have a router? ...and the cables I need are just two ordinary network cables (as opposed to crossover ones) ?

...and does it automagically recognise the home network or do I have to reconfigure that?
N/A

ahhh yes.... i tend to call them cable broadband router Smiley but a valid point, as I have seen and known IT sales people sell the wrong one :roll: just remember to ask for an ADSL 4 port router, and make sure it says ADSL on the box Smiley

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/connections.asp

if you scroll down to about midway, you'll come across 'Ethernet Router & Local Area Network' I think this is what your looking for in a diagram form Smiley

or http://www.cclcomputers.biz/specs/networkmodem/broadband.htm

third one down, both are the same

in answer to your q's

yes, internet connection sharing is no longer required, as neither machine is actually sharing an internet connection.

the cable you will need are standard cables, also known as patch cables or straight through cables.

the router will automatically have an ip out of the box, if you leave the ip as is for now, and set both machines to have their ip address to be set DHCP, they will automatically pull an ip address when the connect to the router.

for example.

router static ip 192.168.0.1
your pc dhcp assigned ip 192.168.0.2
the other pc dhcp assigned ip 192.168.0.3

once it is all working, then start playing around with settings Smiley
N/A

Yep turn off ICS, use Patch cables instead of the crossover.

You have to remove the old 'dialer' for your USB, if it has one, never used one before.

You can run the Network wizard again and tell it that you have an Always on connection via your LAN, that should sort out your network.

Cheers
Zen
N/A

Thanks for the websites! A picture is worth a thousand words. At least it is in my case :lol:
N/A

aye sometimes with words, you don't know how to picture it, then you see a picture and all becomes clear Smiley