cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking with ADSL

N/A

Networking with ADSL

Ive looked through the forum all day and although I have found usefull information, I am getting confused.

I have two computers, one on Windows 98SE and one on XP.
The two computers are connected by ethernet, via a PC Line 5 Port Auto Switch. Both computers can see each other and access each others shared files folders.
the 98SE computer has been given an IP address of 192:168:1:1 and the XP computer has an address of 192:168:1:3.
The 98SE computer has an ADSL connection to its USB port and works fine(touch Wood!!).
I Would like to be able to access the internet on the XP machine but this is where Ive had the grief. I dont seem to be able to share an internet connection and on the XP machine all the connection options such as default connection are greyed out.

Please could someone tell me how I can use the ADSL on the other machine, as well as using the 98SE machimne. I only have a limited Networking knowledge and I have got lost with all the DNS, gateways and IP addresses for Routers stuff.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Networking with ADSL

You need to use ICS (internet connection sharing) on the WIn98 machine to link your local network (192.168.0.X) to your USB modem's network (PlusNet IP). Just google for ICS to find tutorials etc.

The XP PC then needs to be setup to have the IP address of the Win98 PC as he gateway and it should also set the DNS to be the same or you can set it to PlusNets DNS servers 212.159.6.9 or 10, or 212.159.13.49 or 50.

Are you running a software firewall on your Win98 PC. If not you should do to protect your local network. If you are running zonealarm free then that does not support ICS and you need to upgrade to zonealarm pro.

Finally, you should think about replacing your USB modem with a router - single port or 4 port - which plugs into your switch. It makes your life much easier and removes the error prone USB and ICS drivers from your setup.
octafish
Grafter

Networking with ADSL

Finally, you should think about replacing your USB modem with a router - single port or 4 port - which plugs into your switch. It makes your life much easier and removes the error prone USB and ICS drivers from your setup.

Couldn't agree more. With good routers so inexpensive these days it just doesn't make sense to use ICS & USB. It should come with its own buit-in hardware firewall and get one that can be configured via your browser rather than using proprietary software.