cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking using 2 routers and a hub?

N/A

Hi, first let me explain my situation.

I have a Belkin Ethernet modem/router that is currently wired on it's 4 ports to
the downstairs PC, the living room Xbox, The main bedroom Xbox and the 2nd bedroom Xbox.

Currently all 4 can be on at the same time yes I know this can slow the connection but it works well).

What I would like to do is connect in the 3rd bedroom with an Xbox and also take the network up to my loft workshop to a few more PC's/servers etc.

I have an additional Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router, I also have several 16 port hubs.
I don't really want to be spending any more money on it all.

How would be best for me to wire them up?

Would this work?
Belkin router into Linksys (losing 1 Belkin port so put into Linksys) then up a cable to the loft and distribute on the hub (I already have the cable run).

That would give me 6 ports available downstairs which would be adequate for the main house network and 16 in the loft where I could add devices to my hearts desire.

I recall something about the difference between a hub & router (but cannot remember) so will doing this have any interfering with each other if they are accessing the network?

I understand I need to disable DHCP on one of the routers, will this be the Belkin & set it to a set IP then tell the Linksys which IP it should be accessing?

Any advice gratefully receive.

Thank you.
Zoombini.
10 REPLIES
N/A

You can use the second router as a switch but it wont work as a router as it only routes via ADSL. The other option is to use the hubs th eonly differance is a hub doesnt limit traffic to one port it swamps all its ports if there is very heavy traffic. The router will not spread data across all ports.

The only time you would notice the hubs is if you copied a very big file from one pc to another using the normal internet would not show any problems with the hubs as the traffic is so low.

You may have to use the ports marked uplink or use a cross over cable to connect the hub and router.
N/A

Correction, you can use several routers, the issue is the fact you need one router per subnet so you would make your network into 2 subnets that way, then either you need to add an appropriate static route or you would need to enable rip so the routers could share their routing table, but firstly most DSL routers cannot route from one router to another only LAN - WAN, although I have seen some that can, and as mwright says there is no real reason to use 2 routers on a low traffic domestic network, unless you have very high amounts of internal traffic which is frankly rarther unlikly that you would ever swamp a 10Mbps let alone 100Mbps LAN in a domestic setup.

The only time you really need to be ever using 2 routers is generally in an high traffic medium office or corporate situation, from your description I would leave the second router out of the setup unless there is some reason to worry about the traffic, and in that situation you may find that neither of your routers can behave as a standard ethernet router.
Community Veteran

With the amount of traffic you are going to have on your internal network you will see little difference between using a hub or the additional router.

I would forget about the 2nd router as it can be a pain to setup and configure when 2 routers are involved and use your 2 hubs as follows:

router port 1 - connect to cable going to loft -> connect to hub 1 -> to equipment in loft
router port 2 - connect to hub 2 -> to equipment that was connected to router ports 1 & 2 + to bedroom 3 + any other connections needed
router port 3 - leave as is but ideally connect to an Xbox
router port 4 - leave as is but ideally connect to an Xbox

The router can hanle DHCP for up to 254 devices and just having a single router simplifies the whole network and setup.
N/A

Some domestic ADSL routers will only handle a hub being connected to port 1 which it uses as its uplink port otherwise it can cause issues.
Community Veteran

That is not the case for the Belkin router. Most modern routers have auto-sensing ports so you don't have to worry about needing a x-over cable to connect router to hub. They also allow hubs/switches to be connected to any or all of the ports.
N/A

Ok, I did not know whether this applied to Beklin ones or not, just I said some as there are still a small number of dumb home DSL routers.
shellsong
Grafter

Hmmm! We've got a Zoom ADSL X5v VoIP Gateway router connecting us to the World Wide Wibble and a Belkin Pre-N Wireless router plugged into that to give a good solid wireless connection (my laptop couldn't connect to the Netgear we used to have when I was down on the sitting room sofa but with the Pre-N I get a really fast connection under the same circumstances!

What should our optimum way of setting up these devices be-- should we use the X5v just for the ADSL connection (and VoIP when we get round to it) and use the Belkin as the main router?

At present there is just one desktop connected to the X5v alongside the Belkin-- Would that be best plugged into the Belkin together with any other Ethernet devices or should it be OK where it is?
N/A

Thanks folks, yes I have now plugged a hub into one of the ports on the Belkin router, the PC and downstiars Xbox are also plugged into the router.
All others are plugged into the hub.

When I get another RJ45 wall socket I'll connect the loft into yet another hub (I take it that I can do this OK?) to splitthe network even more, I just assume that the router can handle this OK.
shellsong
Grafter

Hmmm! We've got a Zoom ADSL X5v VoIP Gateway router connecting us to the World Wide Wibble and a Belkin Pre-N Wireless router plugged into that to give a good solid wireless connection (my laptop couldn't connect to the Netgear we used to have when I was down on the sitting room sofa but with the Pre-N I get a really fast connection under the same circumstances!)

What should our optimum way of setting up these devices be-- should we use the X5v just for the ADSL connection (and VoIP when we get round to it) and use the Belkin as the main router?

At present there is just one desktop connected to the X5v alongside the Belkin-- Would that be best plugged into the Belkin together with any other Ethernet devices or should it be OK where it is?

I'd still be interested in advice/help if anyone's willing and able :roll:
N/A

It all depends on how you want stuff to work, at the mo i dout you have your wireless and your wired on different subnets and as such, the belkin isnt being a router, its just being a switch.

So you have two options, either just move all your ethernet onto the belkin as well as the wireless and plug that stright into the zoom.

or

have your wired on the zoom, with the belkin, and have the wireless laptops etc on a diff subnet and thus seperated by the belkin from the wired pcs (thus routing will take effect) this would be good for securing the wired lan from the insecure wireless.