cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking my desktop and laptop via wireless cards

StuWard
Grafter

Using my Voyager modem, i would like to network my desktop to my Dell Laptop.

Desktop has a linksys wireless card and Laptop has a Wireless WLAN card

I know nothing about networking but would like to access the internet via my laptop wirelessly

Could somebody give me some advice on how to do so. I believe i have all the kit in order to do it, but i don't know what settings to use.

OS on desktop is Win XP and Laptop is Win 2000

Thanks

Stu
9 REPLIES
N/A

Set your desktop pc to have an ip of 10.0.0.2 with a subnett 0f 255.255.255.0 and set up the dns to plus nets dns.

Set the laptop to have an ip of 10.0.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and set plus net dns again but on this one set the default gateway as 10.0.0.2

It should now work but depending on the network cards you may have to seek the other pc out there is normally a util with the card to do this. You may also need to set the card to add hoc mode.
StuWard
Grafter

Set your desktop pc to have an ip of 10.0.0.2 with a subnett 0f 255.255.255.0 and set up the dns to plus nets dns.

Set the laptop to have an ip of 10.0.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and set plus net dns again but on this one set the default gateway as 10.0.0.2

It should now work but depending on the network cards you may have to seek the other pc out there is normally a util with the card to do this. You may also need to set the card to add hoc mode.

Is this setting the desktop wireless card ip ?
If its the PC itself, could you tell me how to do that ?
As i said i'm a total beginner
N/A

StuWard
Grafter

hey buzzons thanks for that mate, can't quite work out the file sharing bit at the end though

Stu
N/A

its just to disable the simple file sharing and then shows how you can do it the proper way
StuWard
Grafter

I disabled simple file share on my xp pc but i can't find the same tick box on win 2000

Also tried the //ip/drive$ in win exp but it would not connect

Stu
N/A

I disabled simple file share on my xp pc but i can't find the same tick box on win 2000

Also tried the //ip/drive$ in win exp but it would not connect

Stu

try \\ip\drive$ - that oughtta work

or if you know the hostname of the machine you're trying to connect to \\host\drive$
StuWard
Grafter

got it sort of working now, but i get a popup box asking for a user name and password

I have not set any

Stu
N/A

you need to enter the login details for the machine the share is on (in the format MACHINENAME\USERNAME)

ie Iets say I have a machine called chuffbears, and I log onto it as Splash I would logon as chuffbears\Splash