cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking help please

N/A

Networking help please

I went through all this about a year ago, and gave up, but I want to try it again, if someone in the know can go through the necesary steps for me. We have two computers and a laptop all connected to a Linksey's 4 port router via ethernet cables, which is connected to a Netgear modem/router set on modem, internet sharing is all working fine, the problem is seeing and being able to access each computer from each of the other computers. I have tried different options in the wizard and at one time computer 1 could see all three computers, but got an error( administrator rights) when trying to access them, the other two could only see themselves. Can someone run through it all, starting from scratch?
cheers
Ken
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Networking help please

Your version(s) of windows being used would help?

Have you enabled file and print sharing on each PC?

Do they all have the same workgroup set so network neighborhood will find them?

Have you actually made any drives shared?
N/A

Networking help please

The laptop and one computer are using XP Home, the other computer is XP Pro, they all have different computer names, the network name is set to MSHOME on all three, and all three have file sharing enabled.
Community Veteran

Networking help please

Have you tried creating the same usernames on all 3 PCs so each user has it's username on the other 2 PCs? Just an educated guess though.
N/A

Networking help please

No I haven't tried that, but to be honest I don't think that's the problem, I have had it sort of semi working in the past, where two computers could see each other and share files and printer, but the third one wouldn't, although we went through the same configuration with all three, the one which wouldn't work with it has now been replaced by the laptop.
zpeterk
Grafter

Networking help please

Have you tried giving them all fixed ip adds and then searching for the other machines by ip add rather that by name

or just map it \\ip add\share name