Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking help please

aviationradio
Grafter

Networking help please

Hello.
Can i ask for help please - as my knowledge of computers is very limited.

I have recently bought my wife a desktop computer and would like to network both our machines together - i use the as supplied by Plus.Net Binatone usb modem - i want to use the cable method of networking as opposed to wireless networking - can anyone help me please as i say my computer knowledge is nil - although i do much software developing and engineering !! at least i can do something lol !!.

Many Thanks in Advance.

Terry
7 REPLIES
N/A

Networking help please

If both pc's have network ports (onboard or via adaptor) you can share files and your internet connection using a crossover cable, that’s all you need.

Plug in and away you go.

Buzzons from this forum can help you with setting up the network if you find it difficult using the xp network wizard.
aviationradio
Grafter

Networking

Yes both computers have networking options available - i have a suitable cable that will connect both computer ports together.
So far so good - but i think that is the easy bit Shockedops:

Terry.
N/A

Networking help please

elo : check this out if you are having issues with how to do it etc (as the wizards suck)

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials

hope the PDF or the flash vid (which you can pause) will help you out.

just a few changes, if you are doing it via a usb modem, the gateway ip on the pc that has the modem connected will be the SAME as its normal ip, and on the OTHER pc, it will be the IP of the one with the usb modem attached.

other than that, it should be identical.
holdtight
Grafter

Networking help please

Thats a great tutorial Buzz and exactly how it should be done !

If everyone did it as you describe instead of automatically going through the great windows wizards there would be a lot less confusion and a lot more networked pc`s

Good stuff !

Bill.
aviationradio
Grafter

Networking fllow up

Thank you Buzzons i will give that a whirl when i get home tomorrow.

Regards.

Terry.
N/A

Networking help please

hehe glad I could be of help again Smiley

now if only PN would host that vid instead of on my userspace -- means I wouldnt have to worry about the bw lol
aviationradio
Grafter

Networking help please

Hi Buzzons.
Back again - you tutorial did the job in just a few minutes - now have both machines on a network - bril tutorial.

Many Thanks for your help.

T.