cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking config - using wireless router as hub

N/A

Okay, I have all the bits and pieces for my new home network. Both computers are on Win2000Pro and I'm using a kcorp kls575 router and kls530 wnic. I checked with kcorp support and they sent me the following link to give me information on how to use the router as a hub

http://www.kcorplifestyle.com/support_techNotes.htm

So, I installed and configured the networking equipment. I followed the instructions for installing the router, and then used the link above to make changes to the configuration to match the recommendations given.

I set up network id's for both computers - using a website with step by step instructions for Win2000 and using the same site I set up a folder for file sharing on each computer - to see if the network was operational.

When I click on Network neighbourhood - neither computer can find anything other than it's own ID. Using the utilities for the wnic, it appears that my husband's computer is finding an ad-hoc connection on the same channel that the router is set to, and according to Windows, a network connection exists. (If I change the settings, the computer informs me that the LAN connection has been lost, so it seems like it is getting valid information. But why can't the computers find each other then?

I've double checked that everything matches - husband's computer set to get IP address automatically, both computers pointing at the same workgroup, both computers set up for file sharing... The networking setup website said that I should install NetBEUI in order to do the connecting, so I've added that. But other than that - I'm running out of ideas to try. I've also disabled the software firewall on the other computer to see if that will work, but my computer has a software firewall in use too - so... will that prevent it from finding me in the network? If that's the problem, how do I change Zone Alarm so that the other computer can connect to mine?

I guess I should also say that the main goal we're trying to reach is to share an internet connection, so the router does need to act as a hub rather than a router. File sharing would be nice, but sharing broadband is the most important thing here. (And my husband is not pleased that I have broadband and he has dial-up! LOL)

Any ideas for the 'next' thing to try?

Thanks in advance,

Ilene
7 REPLIES
N/A

Fire up the command prompt and type in ipconfig /all

That will give you the computers' IP address, Subnet mask, Gateway and DNS addresses.

The Gateway and DNS should be the router. Can each machine ping the router and eachother?

Are there firewalls on the PCs such as Zone Alarm?
N/A

Okay, I've tried the ipconfig/all
it's shown my PN connection and the LAN connection.
The LAN connection is showing the IP address for the router, subnet is the 255.255.... that I usually see in subnet entries. Default gateway is blank - so I think that'll be my first port of call, making sure that's updated to the recommended information from the manufacturer. (Although from reading the manual it sounds like it's optional.) For DNS servers I'm only getting them for the PN connection and not the LAN.

Yes, both computers are running Zone Alarm - I'm using Visual Zone to make sure that the IP I add to the trusted zone is actually the right one. Do I have to add my own IP or just the IP assigned to the other computer? I'm getting really confused by all of this - my computer should be set with the IP address instructed for the router and husband's should be set for 'get IP automatically' correct? How do I know, if it gets it automatically, that I'm going to put the right IP into the trusted zone?

Probably silly questions, and I'm hoping that my brain is frazzled enough that I'm making this more complicated than it is - but thanks for your advice.

Ilene
N/A

If it helps, this is my setup at home.

PC 1 IP 192.168.1.33
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS 192.168.1.1

PC2 has the IP address of 192.168.1.10
PC3 is 192.168.1.7

The router gives all this out by DHCP as it is an all-in-one box.

You have to add your local IP range to Zone Alarm as Trusted otherwise it will be blocked. In my case in each Zone Alarm I'd put in a new trusted range of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254

Hope that makes it clearer.
N/A

Thanks,
I'll give this a try... that's sort of the set up I thought it would be but for some reason when I ping localhost it comes up 127.0.0.1 on both computers. (Don't know if this is right or not!) When I ping the router ip on the computer with the router it returns fine. When I ping the IP address I set up for the computer with the router, it returns fine. When I ping the IP address for the computer with the router FROM the other computer or the IP address for the router from the other computer - it fails.

Still can't see where it's all going wrong... LOL

Thanks again,

Ilene
N/A

127.0.0.1 is fine.

One of them has a wireless card yes? Try setting it to AP rather than Ad-hoc.
N/A

Silly question - is AP the same as infranet?

Ta,
Ilene
N/A

AP means the wireless card will be connected to a router
Ad-hoc means making a link with another wireless card a la crossover cable between 2 PCs