Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking beginners question

N/A

Hi Everyone

Cople of quick questions.

I have just treated us to a 2.4Ghz wireless router,but what is the name of the "gizmo" I need to get for the wifes laptap to enable it to connct wirelessly,and would the same thing be what would be used for "public hotspots" or whatever they are called.

Sorry for the basic question but the laptop is connected via ethernet at the moment,and she would like to be able to move around a bit.

Also how secure is wireless operation..... the router is a D-Link and apparently does the encryption thing but living in a block of flats does that mean that theoretically my immediate neighbours would be able to use my Plusnet account?

Thanks in advance

Ian & Linda Jordan
3 REPLIES
N/A

you would need a PC card for wireless.. buffalo make a good one

security.. well as its now broadcast over the area it is LESS secure than wires.. however if you enable the wep keys and encrypt your data you should be ok, but be aware that any one can crack it given time.. so i would moniter ur traffice to make sure no one else is bouncing their web via ur connection

Buzzons
N/A

Hi there,

This link may help re your security issues.

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/networking/0,39023970,10002776,00.htm

D-link offer a wireless pcmcia card for your router and hopefully you should have no problems configuring two products from the same manufacturer.

http://www.d-link.com/products/category.asp?cid=1

From past experience it is not that difficult.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Thanks Folks

It seems I still have a lot to learn in the step up from the "SAR130" :-)
I don't know if wireless routers transmit wireless if you have the computers connected by ethernet,so right or wrong until I get it sorted and read up a bit on it I think I have the wireless side of things disabled.

Thanks for the feedback

Ian & Linda Jordan