cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking and IE7

Community Veteran

Networking and IE7

It's time to pick the best brains of the Plusnet community Smiley

Basically I have come across a problem that seems to be directly caused by the upgrade to IE7.

I look after the PC's and network etc at the firm where my wife works and one of the things they use is a database running under MS access. The datafile is on the File server PC and is accessed by any other PC needing to read it.

Since I set it up some years ago thare has never been a problem and it has worked fine.
However I have noticed that on some of the network PC's when the data file is called up a warning box appears stating that the author of the document is not known and do you really want to open the file.

Clicking yes opens the file as normal so it's just an annoyance that the warning message appears.
I have discovered that this message only appears after a PC has downloaded and uddated the IE files from 6 to 7.
Uninstalling IE7 removes the problem completely.

I have been through the settings for IE7 to try and identify just what option is causing this but I have been unable to find anything that stops it happening.

Has anyone come across this and managed to find what the cause is?
4 REPLIES
jnwright
Grafter

Networking and IE7

Community Veteran

Networking and IE7

Thanks for the links. Cool
Yes they describe the problem exactly and I have been down the local intranet settings path without finding anything.
I will though try the cures shown in the second link on Monday and see if I had missed anything when I tried similar.

Watch this space Smiley
Community Veteran

Networking and IE7

Couldn't wait until Monday so I set up the problem on my home network Smiley

Unfortunately non of the solutions suggested in the links you gave worked Sad
However I did a but more digging (google really is your fiend) and found the following.
http://blog.davestechshop.net/archive/2006/10/30/IE7PublisherCouldNotBeVerified.aspx

A suggested solution in here does work and the text from that is below. Cheesy

# re: IE7 - Publisher Could Not Be Verified 1/5/2007 12:56 PM Davis W
You can also Internet Options/Security/Local internet/Sites/Advanced and add file://systemname where systemname is equal the local server that runs the application and and file will now run off of that server.

I used the computer name of the machine with the file on it as system name.

Hope this helps others Cool
jnwright
Grafter

Networking and IE7

Glad you've now got a working solution.

These warning messages can be quite tiresome when the end users do not know whether there is a risk and keep asking before carrying on. I suppose it is just a message erring on the side of caution - a shame these things aren't documented better to avoid the long and tedious task of finding a satisfactory cure without compromising the intended purpose of the warning box under other more riskier circumstances outside the local network!