cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking XP with win98se

N/A

I'm trying to help a friend network her new Windows XP Home machine with an older Win98 SE machine. We are connecting the two machines together with a crossover cable between the two NIC cards.

I've run the XP Network Wizard--made the disk--loaded it into the 98 machine. I've made sure I've shared files on both machines. But after going thru this--neither machine sees the other.

So then I went in and assigned IP addresses to each machine -- only the XP machine can access the net, and that via dial-up. I made sure that both machines had TCP/IP protocol enabled and verified--to the best of my ability--that they should be able to communicate.

After all this, I still could not ping either machine from the other--but--and this is the strange part (for me), on the XP machine, under My Network Places, I can "see" the 98's computer and workgroup name--but cannot see or access any of the shared files. And as I said, I could not ping the 98 from the XP or vica-versa. Each machine can ping it's own IP address successfully however.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should try next. I am not an expert in this stuff--but am willing to learn!

Thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Witty
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First can you explain what equipment is connected to which PC - i.e. what has a modem connected and which one can currently connect to the net.

Which PC do you want to access the net from - only one or both using the same modem and if so which one? If both you need to be running ICS (internet connection sharing).

Do you have any virus scanners or firewall software installed. If so what make/version on what PC

Are you sure you are using a xover cable and not a straight one? Look at the wire colours at either end and see if they are in the same order or if some of the wires are in a different order if you compare them side by side.

You may need to enable netbios for the two PCs to be able to communicate with each other. This is not normally on by default on XP.
N/A

You've probably already done it but if not, reboot both machines after you make any configuration change. Then wait a bit - mine can take at least 30 seconds for network drives to appear.

And check that the permissions for shared folders include Everyone.
N/A

The XP machine is connected to the net, but I wish both machines to access the net.

The 98se machine has the basics on the machine.

Where do I find ICS?

Norton Anti-virus and Internet Security.

Yes, definitely xover cables.

Is Netbios on the XP software? Would Netbios only be for file sharing? Hence, hiding the files from the net?
Community Veteran

You also appear to have asked the same Q here: http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/showthread.php?t=4799 so did that not help you?

Please read my post again and answer more fully. What systems have NIS and virus and what versions. What hardware are you using to connect to the net and how is that connected to the PC.

Remember I cannot see what you ahve so need detailed info so I can help understand your setup.
N/A

In Norton Internet Security you need the IP of the other machine added to the Trusted Computers list.

I'm not sure about the netbios thing, but I've not needed to do anything for it with XP and seem to remember some reference to enabling it being a security risk.
N/A

No, it didn't, still having problems connecting both computer. I hope the answers I've given you are enough.
N/A

cdpsoftware, you are a gem, I hadn't thought about adding the other IP to the trusted list. Will give that a go now Cheesy

witty
Community Veteran

Please read my previous piost again. Not enough info yet.
N/A

Ok re-read your post.

XP has the printer (X83), modem (56k v90) and some files needed for sharing with win98se.

Both machines to access the net.

They will be in different rooms, hence the need to have internet access for both.

Norton IS and AV both are 2003 versions, although cdpsoftware has recommended something I hadn't thought of, so will be doing that shortly.
Community Veteran

What system has NIS and virus scanner : XP, Win98SE or both

Netbios may be required to share files between the 2 systems, I had to enable this on my XP system before I could reliably access and transfer files to my Win98 systems on the network. On XP, go to networking properties (start -> control panel -> network connections), highlight the network device (lan card connecting to Win98SE) if it is shown then click on the TCP/IP entry and click properties. Then click advanced then DNS tab and enable netbios.

ICS can be enabled on the XP machine. Just follow the inbuilt help (help & support via start icon - search for ICS) in XP which explains how to do it. Check the docs for NIS as it may need to be configured to work with ICS.
N/A

Thanks, Peter,

NIS and AV is run from XP, but was thinking about putting it on the 98se machine too?!

I'll try what you've suggested and let you know how I get on Cheesy

witty
N/A

Peter and cdpsoftware,

Thank you so much for your help on Sunday, I now have both machines accessing the net and sharing all files/folders needed between the 2 computer Cheesy

Witty