cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking XP & Vista

N/A

Networking XP & Vista

I'm having trouble networking between XP and Vista (who isn't). If I give some details perhaps someone can sort me out. I'm using a Netgear DG834v3 wired router, XP Home and Vista Premium. From the Vista there is no problem I can see the XP and shared folders and even move files. From XP to Vista I can see Vista when I view workgroup computers but can not access. Error message says 'The network path was not found'. Also I can ping the XP from Vista, but can't ping the Vista from XP. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Networking XP & Vista

N/A

Networking XP & Vista

Sorry I didn't mention that the firewall on both machines is off. Also I have installed the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder component.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Networking XP & Vista

Funnily enough I was having the same problem yesterday copying files between a XP laptop and a Vista laptop.

Although mine was a slightly different problem to yours because I could ping both machines, but the XP laptop couldn't see the Vista laptop .. though the Vista laptop could see the XP one.

Turned out the (new) Vista laptop came pre-installed with Norton Internet Security .. when I disabled the firewall, it then worked. I guess I could have set up a rule to allow the traffic rather than disabling it, but I couldn't be bothered at the time since I was just copying files across as I was rebuilding the XP laptop.

As Peter said, I would suspect your problem could be caused by software blocking inbound connections on Vista. Aside from the Windows firewall, could you have any other third party software installed acting as a firewall? From experience I know NIS and ZoneAlarm have a tendency to block LAN connections by default.

I would start by checking any anti-virus software on Vista.
N/A

Networking XP & Vista

Vista wont work if either pc doesnt have a password so if you login with no password it wont let you connect.
N/A

Networking XP & Vista

Thanks for your help Peter and Hunthome it was indeed the firewall, more specifically the firewall in McAfee. I had already disabled the Windows firewall on both machines but not the McAfee. I should have realised particularly as I remember having endless trouble with McAfee and Windows 2000. Once I disabled it Vista popped up immediately. Thanks again for your input. Cheesy