cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Windows and Linux

Community Veteran

Can anyone help me with this?

I'm trying to set up my suse 9.3 box so it will talk to my windows xp laptop and I can share printers and stuff...

I did have the linux box connected and veiwing the laptops hard disk at one point, but I can't get back in now.

I have not been able to connect to the linux box from the laptop yet, although I do now have an Icon for it in the Mshome workgroup the laptop is using...

Whoever can help gets a free ice cream from Soaves in Muirhead*

you must arrange your own travel to and from the shop, I will only buy the ice cream.
7 REPLIES
N/A

You dont give us a lot to go on. How are the pc's connected cross over cable switch router do they internet acces?

It depends a lot if you have a adsl router and you are accessing the net. Assume your not for a min.
Set the pc's ip to 10.0.0.3 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 setup plusnet dns.
Set the linux box to 10.0.0.4 subnet 255.255.255.0 and plusnets dns.

If both systems have a shared drive/printer you should be able to see each other you can test to see if they are there by doing a ping 10.0.0.3 or 4.

You may have problems with usernames and passwords if you can get both pc's logged on with the same account name and password it makes life simplier.

if you have a adsl router you need to have the sam ip range as the router. So if the pc can see the router goto start then run then cmd and type ipconfig /all

That will tell you the ip and subnet put everything in the same on the linux box but add 1 to the last part of the IP. and you will need also to set the default gateway which is given on the ipconfig
Community Veteran

Sorry, the linux box is connected direct to a netgear DG834GT ADSL router, while the laptop is connected wirelessly to the router.

The router IP is 192.168.0.1 and it assigns the IP addresses out to the linux bax and laptop, the laptop normally has 192.168.0.2 and the linux box 192.168.0.3

Both machines have internet access through the router and that works fine.
N/A

Sounds like a call for Samba!
The question is, which way round do you want the sharing? Is the printer going to sit on the linux machine and windows will use that to print, or the other way around?
The same goes for seeing the hard drives.

As I'm not a SuSe (or any form of Linux) user I can't advise you on how to install Samba, but once its installed, setting it up is pretty uniform across all platforms.

Once you're that far, I'll jump on the problems again Smiley
Community Veteran

Samba is installed ;-)

I wan't to share the hard disks of the windows and linux machines and the printers will connect to the linux machine.
N/A

Setting up samba shares is best done through SWAT (the samba web admin tool) which is part of the default samba install. As for how to enable it under SuSe, I can't help with, in FreeBSD its enabled in the inetd config.
Once SWAT is set up it is usually accessed through http://ip.of.sam.ba:901 and uses the root login and password.

Connecting to windows shares can be done (I beleive) with mount_smbfs for a persistant mount point, or you can use smbclient to connect in a ftp style session.

Printing on the other hand I've had no experience with under Linux, I beleive it involves the use of CUPS which integrates with samba (but if its not been setup to do this it may involve recompiling and reinstalling it)

One of the biggest problems with printing is that alot of modern cheap printers are windows only. CUPS has a database of compatable printers. If CUPS isn't an option and the printer is a real PostScript printer you can use GhostScript to generate the PostScript documents and send them to the printer. I know this can be done with lpd automatically, but again not being a SuSe/Linux person specifics are beyond me.

Hopefully there is enough useful information here within all the vaugeness!
Community Veteran

I'll have a fiddle tommorow, I don't get half of what you've just said though :lol:

Prob I'm tired thanks anyhow, i'll post back in the morning ;-)
Firejack
Grafter

I'm using Suse 9.2 Pro, Win XP and Samba. Samba does annoy me sometimes as I've always found it quite unreliable. Probably due the fact I'm using Workgroups as oppose to a domain though.

If you are using KDE you'll find Samba is configurable through a GUI interface located in the Control Center under Internet & Network >> Samba Configuration.
Once you have set that up you can add shares or easiest thing to do is right click on a file or folder and share it through the properties menu.

Not sure why but my luck with SWAT has been really mixed on Suse. Sometimes the samba config file would fail to load when my system started but other times it would. Sent me around the bend trying to work out what was wrong! The Control Centre seems much more reliable. My guess is the Suse people have made some alterations to the Samba start up scripts.
Suse has become increasingly more likely to suffer these common random problems brought about through changes made by the Suse team. Really thinking about switching distributions to avoid the hours of unnecessary troubleshooting only to find some dude has been poking around the setup files when they shouldn't of been!