cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Query - is this possible?

gswindale
Grafter

OK - having a few problems with my wireless connection (can't connect even when right next to wireless router). Is it possible to therefore use 2 powerline adaptors to hook up my router downstairs to a switch upstairs and then connect my 2 PCs (desktop and laptop) to the ethernet switch upstairs?
7 REPLIES
Walrus
Grafter

Yes, if your switch has an 'upstream' port of some description (most do), that the router can connect to.
Community Veteran

Or use a "Cross Over" network cable.

Chilly
N/A

It would be better to sort out your wireless and get that working. Assuming its not faulty tell us the problem and we will see if we can get you working
gswindale
Grafter

It seems to be OK at the moment, but neither the desktop (with USB wireless adaptor) or the laptop (built in adaptor) was seeing it as an available network, or when they were, they were stating that they were unable to connect. I changed the channel and put it back again and it seems to be working at the moment.
gswindale
Grafter

Had similar problems last night - it stopped working at about 17:30 and then started intermittently at about 21:45.

We've had new neighbours a couple of doors down, so am wondering if they have something that could be interfering.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Don't know if it is in anyway connected, but at my fiance's parents house I set them up with a wireless router a couple of years ago. This time when I went down there and tried to use it myself, I noticed that there where a number of new wirless devices detected, and when I tried to connect to the one I had set up it took a long time trying to connect, then gave an error and disappeared from my list of available networks until I rebooted the router.

My fiances brother then told me he's been having problems with it for a while.

I changed the channel that the wireless was on, and didn't have any more problems with it.

Hope that helps.

Phil
N/A

As a side note, these days cross-over cables and uplink ports are getting less and less common!

Most switch based technology has auto-sensing ports, which will automatically act as an uplink when required.