cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Probs - Linux

N/A

Networking Probs - Linux

I have a mitel 600 sme server configured correctly ( i think )
I can connect to the internet and also view pages on the internet from all the computers on my network.
The problem I have is I have bought two domain names and wish to host them on my server, nothing large or fancy but using the server as a simple storage facility really.

I bought the names from two different companies and am experiencing teh same problems in so much as anyone typing in the URL of one of my domain names doesnt seem to hit on my server. They get messages back saying domain doesnt exist or page cannot be displayed, when I know it does and is registered to me on the who is regsiter.

Do i need to configure my server differently.. ie specified DNS number?
My sever assigns DHCP settings on my network, no probs. Is the problem with the router or something simple?

Even when you type in the IP address of my server, it still refuses to display any pages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Russ G
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Networking Probs - Linux

Are these two domains registered with PlusNet. I.e. are PlusNet responsible for maintaining the DNS record for them - have you transfered them to PlusNet?

If not, you need to contact the company who is hosting your domains or holds the TAG for it and ask them to change the DNS IP address that the domains point to to your PlusNet IP address (the one allocated to your router or ADSL modem) and the one shown when you click connection settings then IP icon.

Your problem is the DNS records associated with the domain names are not pointing to your IP address.

Even after you have done that you need to setup port forwarding on your router so connections to your IP addres are routed to your web server or any other services you want to offer.

What are the domain names and I can look them up for you?
N/A

Networking Probs - Linux

Thank you for your reply peter

The domains arent registered with plus net.

The main one I am trying to get sorted out is domain www.professionalplus.co.uk

I have changed the forwarding IP number to reflect my current static IP number, I take it this isnt enough ? There were no other options with the domain name regiatration company other than to put in a new ip number of where to re direct the domain name

Russ G
Community Veteran

Networking Probs - Linux

When did you change the IP. DNS changes can take upto 48 hours to propogate through the internets DNS servers so you will need to wait a day or so before you can try it.

If you changed it a while ago then something is still not correct because your URL resolves to:

www.professionalplus.co.uk resolved to 212.227.127.119

DNS Query Results:

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> any www.professionalplus.co.uk
;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; www.professionalplus.co.uk, type = ANY, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.professionalplus.co.uk. 3H IN A 212.227.127.119

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
professionalplus.co.uk. 20h20m42s IN NS ns15.schlund.de.
professionalplus.co.uk. 20h20m42s IN NS ns16.schlund.de.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns15.schlund.de. 20h20m41s IN A 195.20.224.105
ns16.schlund.de. 20h20m41s IN A 212.227.123.12

Which is not your PlusNet IP address.

It looks like the change you made is not changing the DNS records but your current host has added an automatic redirect to 80.229.x.147 which is your PlusNet one. This suggests your router has not been configured to port forward any connection on port 80 to the internal IP address of your Linux server. I suggest you read your router manual for instructions on how to do this.
N/A

Networking Probs - Linux

Peter,

It was a while ago then I thought I had configured it wrong as I put in the server name as opposed to the IP number, so I changed it about 12 hours ago.

I guess I am being a little hasty. However !!

Surely, by typing in my ip number should still enable you to see the pages on my server ? This also isnt happening which makes me think there is something a-miss with my router.

I can access the internet and view pages/download, but anyone trying to access pages from my server directly by typing in the ip number still get the message page cant be displayed..... any more thoughts ? ( say hi to Lewsey Farm for me, a hunt of mine many many moons ago )

Russ G
Community Veteran

Networking Probs - Linux

See my additional reply above. Port forwarding is what you need to do on your router - I assume you do have a router.
N/A

Networking Probs - Linux

Peter, sounds like it is the router after all.....

Next problem is that I cannot get into the router to re configure it as the server software I have does not have a browser, it is purely a server software running on the linux kernel.

I shall try to reset it manually and then see if I can configure it through one of the windows machines on the network and see if that will help, although I am trying desperately to steer away from any kind of windows involvement in the server.

Thanks for your time.

Russ G