cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Message at Boot-up

N/A

I have an IBM laptop running W98SE which has internet access using a PCMCIA cardbus to a home based PC located in another part of the house. This PC also operates in Windows 98SE. They connect to the internet via a Buffalo wireless router. The PC works fine but I experience a networking message at boot-up on the laptop: "Your network adaptor Intel(R) PRO/100 SP mobile Combo Adapter (0003) is not working properly. You may need to set it up again....."
When I click OK, the laptop boots and all seems fine. I then have access to the internet and all seems to be working well. I use Zone Alarm Pro and AVG Antivirus. The message is annoying and I don't know what to do to fix the problem. Can anyone offer some assistance please?
javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused
4 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Have you updated the driver for the network card? If it is relying on the driver that came packaged with W98 it could well be out of date. Go to the card manufcturer's website and you should be able to download a new driver.
N/A

Thanks for the reply Denzil. I checked the device manager and it tells me that the Intel(R) PRO/100 SP Mobile Combo Adapter working Ok with driver 1-26-2004.
Can't seem to trace a more recent one.
N/A

Is the error related to the card you are using or does it have another one or think it does?
If there is one in the bios disable it and see if that solves it
N/A

That is a possibility. I did have another cardbus (Buffalo) which I changed in favour of a D Link. Perhaps the system is still looking for the first cardbus driver.
Thanks for the advice, I will check it out.