cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking Help........Please

N/A

Hi All

I am trying to set up a small office network by joining 2 pcs. PC 1 is on XP home and has a Nvidia nic card and a Binatone ADSL USB modem attached. PC 2 is on 98se and I have installed a Linksys 10/100 lan card. To connect the 2 I have purchased a crossover cable.

Well, after joining everything up, running drivers, enabling ICS on the Binatone, running the Network setup wizard on xp and creating a setup disk to run on the 98se machine still no luck. I have switched off the firewall on the xp machine (built in one) and Zone Alarm and AVG anti virus on the 98 machine. On xp, the 98 machine shows in the workgroup but does not allow access to anything but on the 98 machine only the 98 computer shows in Network Neighbourhood. I cannot ping the 98 machine from xp or vice versa and am now at the end of my teather. I`ve looked at a number of tutorials on different sites and it looks like i`ve done eveything right. Oh, btw, on the xp machine a little bubble comes up when you plug in the network cable saying Local Area Connection is now connected...speed 100mps?

Can anyone help me/

Thanks Cry
6 REPLIES
N/A

Have you tried running the home/office network wizard on your XP machine? this creates all the correct settings on the XP machine and a disk to update 98 etc. with the matching settings.

I would imagine your network protocols are different between the two machines as well. Use the network wizard to sort that out, it's easier than explaining it all in depth and quicker too.
N/A

Have you tried running the home/office network wizard on your XP machine? .

Yeh, done that Gadgetboy and made a 98 setup disk. Still no joy!
N/A

how to set up a network without using a wizard
http://www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network.jpg

also make sure ur internet firewall is off in XP as this can be th reason behind so many netowkrs not working
N/A

Hi Buzzons

The firewalls are of on both PCs. I have tried pinging the 98se pc from the xp with no luck and vice versa. Strangely though, the 98 pc shows up in the workgroup on the xp machine but will not let you access it?? So, i pulled the crossover cable out of the xp machine and plugged it into my laptop which also runs xp. Bam....Can ping the 98 machine straight away and after running the the network wizzard on the laptop can share files on both the laptop and 98 machine. Pull out the cable from the laptop and plug it back into the xp desktop and the same problem happens. Cannot ping the 98 pc or share files but it does show in the workgroup....AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH.

Phew, calmed down a bit and reckoned the fault could be with the nic on the xp pc. called pc technical support (only had the pc for a day) and they told me to enable the nic from the bios (already enabled) and download and install the latest driver (which I have done). Still no joy!

The guy said he will talk to a few of his colleagues and get back to me. Any other thioughts guys....Oh, on the back of the nic the green light doesn`t come on, only the amber one which flashesHuh

Thanks all
N/A

Quick update folks.

the guy from Mesh technical tells me to run ipconfig /all and report the physical address of the nic. this reports it as 01-23-45-67-89-AbHuhHuh Doesn`t look right to me. Anyway, he said i needed to get the proper Mac address and change it. Where do I find it I ask. On the floppy controller on the motherboard. He tells me.

Well....I tried ..Blimey, the number is written on the side of the controller connection and there is about a half inch gap between that and the hard drive casing..... Its impossible to get your head in there and read it....The guy told to try and use a mirror. Well, i normally carry a mirror to work with me.. yeh right.

Well, I`m not happy guys....Any thoughts?
N/A

Update to the update......Managed to get the mac address from the side of the floppy controller with the careful use of my mates missus`s compact mirror. Quite hard reading it out backwards. Anyway, entered the correct address and bingo....can now see both pc`s and can share files with each other......But, cannot access the internet from the 98 pc. ICS is enabled on the xp machine using the Binatone USB modems Local area connection and firewalls are switched off on both machines.

Any ideas guys?