Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking 3 PCs, what do you recommend

N/A

Hi,

I have 2 desktop PCs & a Dell Notebook.

All 3 have network cards already in them. My PlusNet broadband connects via an External USB modem.

Any ideas on what hardware I will need to network the 3 together and the cheapest way.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Scrap the USB modem and get yourself a 4 port router these can be had for as cheap as about £30 these days.
You will have a choice of cables or radio but radio is obviously dearer.
Checkout the adslguide for write ups on different types.
N/A

Brilliant, thank you!

Which type of cables will I need to get? I was told to network 2 PCs together i'd need a Cross over cable. Is that the same for use with a router?
N/A

The type of cable will depend on the link.

Standard ethernet uses a star method, meaning each computer links to a central point, with the lines joining to form a start pattern.

The cables used for this joining to a central point are known as patch or straight through cables.

When linking to like for like devices, like two PC's, the pinouts on the network ports mismatch. As a result, you use a cross-over cable.

Some devices auto-sense what port type you have, and don't care what type of cable you use. But for best compatability, use the guide above.
Community Veteran

Yes as Philip says a crossover cable would hve been needed for connecting 2 PC directly together but to connect your 3 PC's into a 4 port router you would use straight cables.
N/A

I have networked 2 togther we the cross over cables
N/A

Brilliant,

thank you all