Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networking 2 PC's

N/A

Networking 2 PC's

Hi
I hope someone can help
I would like to network 2 PC's one with XP and the other Win 98. What would I need in terms of hardware and software and what are the approx. costs. (The spec for the new PC includes "ethernet 10/100 network onBoard" is this part of what I need?
Would the PC's be able to share the same printer, scanner and broadband connection ?
The PC's are right next to each other so I am not thinking of a wireless set up.

Dave
7 REPLIES
N/A

Networking 2 PC's

Hiya,

I'm no expert but here's my take:

1. Ethernet card (whether on board or otherwise - makes no odds) on new PC - Good. That's what you need.
2. You also need an Ethernet card on your old box as well. For this you'll should probably go out an buy a PCI Ethernet card from your local PC World or whatever and stick it in and install the drivers. The card should be pretty cheap - under 20 quid and maybe come with a cable as well.
3. Would the PC's be able to share the same printer, scanner and broadband connection? Yep - that's the point isn't it?
4. How do you set it up? - That's where I fall down. Basically I think I'm fine on networking Win 2K stuff but have ever tried a Win 98 /XP combo. And here's a suggestion - why are you bothering with Win 98 anyway? Upgrade the operating system on the old box and make your life easier and make the networking easier too.

Regards
Alex
N/A

Networking 2 PC's

Hi,

Yes you can share files, printing and your Internet connection. I can't say I have every tried sharing a scanner.

For this recipe you will need an Ethernet card for both machines. If the old machine doesn't have one, then they're usually inexpensive (as Alex said).

If you are only connecting the two machines, and have no plans for expansion, then you will need a cross-over Ethernet cable to go between the two Ethernet cards. (please note, this is not a normal Ethernet cable!).

On the other hand, if you want to plan for later expansion, then you will need a Hub or Switch, to which you would connect both machines using normal Ethernet cables.

Once all the physical work is done, it would probably simplest to then follow the Internet Connection Sharing wizard on which ever of your machines you use to connect to the Internet. This is built-in to both XP and Windows 98 SE, you may need to have your respective CDs handy. This wizard should do the hard work for you and automatically configure the two machines to communicate with each other and to share your Internet.

The final recommended ingredients are patience and good karma Smiley

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

Networking 2 PC's

Hi
Thanks for the info.
I will only be connecting 2 PC's but would like them to share printer and broadband. Does this mean I need a Hub or Switch?
I could have a M RJ45 Cable (for£4) or a Peer to Peer Cable (for £5) with the new PC would either of those do? I assume a crossover cable has the same connection at both ends is this different to a normal Ethernet cable?

Dabs have PCI Ethernet cards from about£5.

Regards
Dave
N/A

Networking 2 PC's

A standard CAT5 cable and a crossover cable will have the same physical connectors each end but the wiring inside is different. To look at them they are identical...

Dave
N/A

Networking 2 PC's

Hi,

If you're just connecting two PC's, then a cross-over would be fine.

If you hold the two ends of an ethernet cable together, and look at the colour order of the wires inside. Simply:
* If they are in the same order they are 'straight-through' (or normal).
* If they are reversed, then it is a roll cable (these are often flat satin cables anyway, but not always)
* If they are out of order, then it should be crossed. (Unless you have something really unusual, but this is unlikely).

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

Networking 2 PC's

If you are going to share Broadband then I recommend you go for a 4 port 10/100 Broadband Router with ADSL modem built in.

There are various routers around, but the one (Mentor CUK4E) I use was £40 and came with one ethernet cable. There are quite a few routers around that have also got printer servers built in, which would probably be a more elegant solution.

You would need an ethernet card for your old pc (about a fiver ) and another ethernet cable (straight ) which should cost no more than 3 or 4 quid

If you go this way, then you don't need both PCs switched on to access the net,
you can also add PC's, or other kit such as PS2 easy-peasy.

Setting up the file sharing and hardware sharing should be quite easy, it is on XP, but you'll need to read the help files for '98 and 2000.

You ought to be able to complete the set up for about £60, there are better & therefore more expensive routers around, but I leave it to you to decide if they're worth spending extra on.

Try looking at www.stak.com, www.ebuyer.com (read the reviews) or www.dabs.com. I've bought from all 3, they all provide good service.

Jeff
N/A

Networking 2 PC's

If you wanted to stay cheap & cheerful, then all you would need is a Network card and a cross-over cable, also known as a peer to peer cable. Total cost if you shop around approx £10 + delivery.

If you decided later to use a Router , then you would already have the Network card installed,

I've never used Internet Connection Sharing but I did once Network 2 Win 95 pcs using a parallel lead, it was slow but enabled me to share the drives, I did it because the laptop I was using didn't have a cd, but I could install software via the desktop. I think I used something called Netbeui or similar which was part on Win95, and lead cost about £5 , I doubt you would be able to share the scanner using this method though.

Let us know which method you decide on

Jeff