cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network with USB Net Connection

N/A

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum (I'm guessing this is the right one).

I've been told it would be a good idea to use one of my older PC's as a Firewall (running SmoothWall). If I do this I could use a USB modem but since I've opted for the 2MB service will a USB 1.0 socket be fast enough?

On the other hand would I be better off installing 2 network cards?

In either case what are the advantages and disadvantages?
7 REPLIES
N/A

You are all ways better with a router as it does a NAT on you local ip so it stops most attacks. A usb modem should be ok as most can handle a lot more than 2 meg but I would recomend the router
N/A

Cheers.

Is it possible to run two netwrok cards on one PC thou? Especially considering it'll be running SmoothWall.
N/A

Smoothwall is far more capable of running two and even three NIC's, than one NIC and a USB modem
Community Veteran

It is unlikely smoothwall (which is actually Linux) will handle your USB modem as USB supported devices are somewhat limited. You are going to have to replace it with an external ADSL modem/router, and if you are you may as well forget smoothwall and buy a multi-port ADSL modem/router with a built in SPI firewall. e.g. a Netgear DG834
N/A

Basically what I'm trying to do is set-up a home network (cables are already in). Which is connected to a 16-port switch. Between the switch and the ineternet connection it has been suggested I use a PC running SmoothWall.

I've got the PC I'd like to use for this but I'm not sure how to set it up for SmoothWall. The documentation with SmoothWall suggests that a USB modem is OK, however the PC I'm using only has USB 1.0 and I'm not sure that's quick enough.

Installing 2 network cards seems like a good option with a router.

We're not heavy internet users (but then we've never had broadband), I just want to be sure that none of the computers are hacked.

Any idea's?

I'm very sorry if what I've written is rubbish ... I'm new to all of this!
Community Veteran

USB1.0 (actually you will have USB 1.1) supports speeds up to 12Mb/s, considering ADSL can't go above 2Mb/s you are pretty safe.

The USB modems that smoothwall is likely to support will be US brand based, and even then it will be a very limited chipset type.

If your not familiar with Linux or smoothwall then I still suggest you forget about it and just get a good ADSL modem router with built in firewall like the one I suggested.
N/A

OK. Cool.

Thanks for your help. I hope I haven't annoyed you too much.

I'll be off to order a Netgear router then! Again, thanks for your help.

Mark.