cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network setup help

N/A

Network setup help

I have 2 PCs in my house both connect to a router and get a ip address from the router, my pc can communicate to the other pc, it can ping, but the other pc cannot ping to my pc or connect to my pc at all.

pls help why this is happening
6 REPLIES
N/A

Network setup help

Hi there,

I would think, initially that your PC's may not be in the same workgroup or the ip addresses and subnets have not been assigned correctly.

What OS are you running?
LiamM
Grafter

Network setup help

Being in a different workgroup shouldn't necessarily stop them talking to each other, and with the router assigning the IP addresses, It shouldn't assign addresses in different subnets.

Sounds to me like you're running a firewall on your local machine. Have you enabled the local network from within your firewall?
N/A

Network setup help

Glad one of us is awake.
LiamM
Grafter

Network setup help

Lol, must be all that Black Something Beer you talk about!
N/A

Network setup help

lol

yeh it was the firewall stopping the access, ive enabled it and it works.

Ive got another question, im sharing a drive which has mp3s, i am the admin of that drive, i want to share the drive, but give access to like listen to music and copy it from the drive to the local machine, but not add any music files or delete and files how do i do that.
N/A

Network setup help

Set the permissions on the folder which contains the files..

Right click > properties > security

Edit the access permissions, for example read and execute, list folder contents and read.

Or you could simply right click on the file, click properties and just click on "read only" at the bottom of the window.

Correct me if I'm wrong?